Darryl F. Zanuck spent a bundle to make W. Somerset Maugham’s masterpiece, The Razor’s Edge about the spiritual quest of a WWI vet (Tyrone Power). With thousands of extras and generous French dialogue, rare for Hollywood, the scenes of ”Lost Generation” Paris boast beaucoup de vérité. (Alas, Zanuck cut corners on Himalayan scenes, with low-cost horizons.) Power stretches himself as a man in turmoil who forsakes wealth and joins the proletariat, while Tierney plays a variation on Scarlett O’Hara as the scheming ex-fiancée who wants him back. Long but seldom flat, the film is terrifically acted, especially by Clifton Webb as a prissy snob who notes, ”I do not like the propinquity of the hoi polloi.” EXTRAS A commentary, which reveals that director Edmund Goulding supposedly asked Power to abstain from sex so his face would be purged of carnality.
The Razor's Edge (Movie - 1946) Darryl F. Zanuck spent a bundle to make W. Somerset Maugham's masterpiece, The Razor's Edge about the spiritual quest of a WWI vet ...The Razor's Edge (Movie - 1946)DramaUnrated Darryl F. Zanuck spent a bundle to make W. Somerset Maugham's masterpiece, The Razor's Edge about the spiritual quest of a WWI vet ...2005-05-23Clifton Webb
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gene Tierney, Tyrone Power, Clifton Webb; Director: Edmund Goulding; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 23 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Jurassic World' stomps 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' at holiday box office
- Kelly Clarkson and more top moments from 'Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular'
- Kelly Rutherford reunites with her kids
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!