Snakes and Earrings created a huge stir when it was published in Japan, winning the country’s most prestigious literary award for Hitomi Kanehara, then 20. But for American readers raised on Less Than Zero, the debut novel (translated by David Karashima) is pretty standard fare. Nineteen-year-old Lui (for Louis Vuitton) meets and shacks up with the fork-tongued Ama in Tokyo. She then sets out to split her own tongue, first by piercing, eventually by cutting. Like rebels without a cause the world over, Lui revels in her aimlessness. She trades sex for a splashy tattoo, contemplates suicide by starvation, witnesses a murder. While not particularly original, Lui’s sexy nihilism is riveting in that can’t-look-away-from-a-car-wreck manner, and Kanehara delivers an ending that’s both chilling and oddly moving.
Snakes and Earrings Snakes and Earrings created a huge stir when it was published in Japan, winning the country's most prestigious literary award for...Snakes and EarringsFictionHitomi Kanehara Snakes and Earrings created a huge stir when it was published in Japan, winning the country's most prestigious literary award for...2005-05-23E.P. Dutton
Genre: Fiction; Author: Hitomi Kanehara; Publisher: E.P. Dutton
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!