Snakes and Earrings created a huge stir when it was published in Japan, winning the country’s most prestigious literary award for Hitomi Kanehara, then 20. But for American readers raised on Less Than Zero, the debut novel (translated by David Karashima) is pretty standard fare. Nineteen-year-old Lui (for Louis Vuitton) meets and shacks up with the fork-tongued Ama in Tokyo. She then sets out to split her own tongue, first by piercing, eventually by cutting. Like rebels without a cause the world over, Lui revels in her aimlessness. She trades sex for a splashy tattoo, contemplates suicide by starvation, witnesses a murder. While not particularly original, Lui’s sexy nihilism is riveting in that can’t-look-away-from-a-car-wreck manner, and Kanehara delivers an ending that’s both chilling and oddly moving.
Snakes and Earrings Snakes and Earrings created a huge stir when it was published in Japan, winning the country's most prestigious literary award for...Snakes and EarringsFictionHitomi Kanehara Snakes and Earrings created a huge stir when it was published in Japan, winning the country's most prestigious literary award for...2005-05-23E.P. Dutton
Genre: Fiction; Author: Hitomi Kanehara; Publisher: E.P. Dutton
Posted May 23 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for Rutgers' class of 2015
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!