Galactic fascism rises in Episode III, but democracy flourishes in the nerd-iverse: Star Wars: Revelations, a 47-minute amateur fan film made for a reported $20,000 (and available for free download at panicstruckpro.com), is most notable as a triumph of technological populism. George Lucas, in encouraging such creations, long ago opened the door to other people’s Wars stories, perhaps some superior to his own. Revelations is not one of those. In fact, director Shane Felux’s refreshingly gynocentric tale of an on-the-lam Jedi evading Imperial extermination remains faithful to Lucas’ weaknesses (jargon-choked exposition, womprat-in-the-headlights acting) as well as his strengths (painterly alien landscapes, sleek space battles). Revelations looks fantastic and sounds better: No revenge-of-the-synth here. Geek hearts will lift to see such nifty folderol enveloping average-Joe nonactors, as opposed to the professional nonactors of the prequels. It’s like wallflowering at the most authoritatively dorky theme party ever thrown.
Star Wars: Revelations Galactic fascism rises in Episode III, but democracy flourishes in the nerd-iverse: Star Wars: Revelations, a 47-minute...Star Wars: RevelationsSci-fi and FantasyPT47M Galactic fascism rises in Episode III, but democracy flourishes in the nerd-iverse: Star Wars: Revelations, a 47-minute...2005-05-23Panic Struck Productions
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Karen Hammang, Gina Hernandez; Director: Shane Felux; Runtime (in minutes): 47; Distributor: Panic Struck Productions
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Americans' bosses on Paige, her future, and the endgame after (spoiler!)
- Casting Net: Anna Kendrick joins Zac Efron in 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates'
- Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig in Lifetime movie (no, really!)
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip
- 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massive earthquake! A crossover!