On the eve of the day in 2002 when The New York Times effectively ended his journalism career by exposing the Jayson Blair-style fictions in his Times Magazine story on cocoa workers in West Africa, Finkel coincidentally received ”the journalistic equivalent of a winning lottery ticket.” He learned of a man named Christian Longo who’d allegedly murdered his wife and three kids before hightailing it to Mexico and posing as a well-known journalist — namely, Michael Finkel of The New York Times. Yes, this is yet more proof that truth is always stranger than fiction in True Story. But there’s a basic problem with Finkel’s otherwise smoothly written account of the two men’s intertwining and declining fortunes as Finkel becomes Longo’s sole friend as the latter faces trial: Ultimately, you just don’t dredge up enough sympathy for either of these guys.
True Story On the eve of the day in 2002 when The New York Times effectively ended his journalism career by exposing the Jayson Blair-style fictions in...True StoryNonfiction, MemoirMichael Finkel On the eve of the day in 2002 when The New York Times effectively ended his journalism career by exposing the Jayson Blair-style fictions in...2005-05-23HarperCollins
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Michael Finkel; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted May 23 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!