The empress of the title — The Empress of Ireland — is Brian Desmond Hurst, the long-forgotten director of some 25 films (including The Playboy of the Western World and 1951’s Alastair Sim-topped A Christmas Carol) who worked with Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness, and a couple of Redgraves. In the ’70s, the octogenarian, openly gay filmmaker enlisted the heterosexual author, then a callow journalist and screenwriting novice, to write an epic about the birth of Christ. Shadows of Gods and Monsters hover, but Christopher Robbins’ effervescent prose hums to its own tune, with anecdotes amusing (a Tangier dinner party attended by pink-satin-attired dwarves), hilarious (a luncheon thrown off course by particularly potent hash), and horrific (Hurst’s recollections of the battle at Gallipoli). The movie never gets made, but no matter. It sparked this affectionate portrait of a fiercely intelligent imp whom Robbins correctly dubs ”an original and fabulous creation.”
The Empress of Ireland The empress of the title — The Empress of Ireland — is Brian Desmond Hurst, the long-forgotten director of some 25 films ...The Empress of IrelandNonfictionChristopher Robbins The empress of the title — The Empress of Ireland — is Brian Desmond Hurst, the long-forgotten director of some 25 films ...2005-05-30Thunder's Mouth Press
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Christopher Robbins; Publisher: Thunder's Mouth Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $84.5M Friday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!