Pocahontas was the first animated film based on a character that really existed and had a history we had to deal with,” producer James Pentecost brags in a commentary. They dealt with that history by chucking nearly every known fact about the Native American princess in what Disney history books will record as their most infamous sop to correctness. No angle is spared: Funny animals for the kids! Anti-imperialist themes for the Montessori kids! Yearning show tunes for the gays! A hottie heroine who makes dads want their own princess party! For all that cross-patronization, it’s also a feast for the eyes?so much that it’s heartbreaking to think this was near the end of Disney’s lavish 2-D era, even if its preachiness helped send folks fleeing to Pixar. EXTRAS The best bonus is a third-act romantic duet (yes, Mel Gibson sings) that never should’ve been cut. Archival material includes early sketches of a less Playboy-esque Pocahontas and a fun Glen Keane demo on drawing her face vs. Ariel’s. But don’t expect any ”Disney vs. reality” charts.
Genre: Animation; Starring: Mel Gibson, Irene Bedard, Judy Kuhn, Christian Bale, Billy Connolly, Linda Hunt, John Kassir, David Ogden Stiers; Director: Mike Gabriel, Eric Goldberg; Author: Susannah Grant; Producer (group): Walt Disney Pictures; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: G
Posted May 30 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!