As thinly veiled as the breasts gracing its cover, Jessica Cutler’s roman à clef, The Washingtonienne, follows 25-year-old Jacqueline Turner, who moves to Washington, D.C., determined to live up to the old L’Oréal motto — ”Because I’m worth it.” Turner, who wears a mink to her internship in a Senate office, beds down several influential men, including one married ”agency chief of staff” who pays for her company. But just like Cutler, who was fired from her Capitol Hill job in 2004 for writing a blog about similar sexploits under the pseudonym Washingtonienne, Turner can’t help but kiss-and-post. What’s really shocking isn’t the heroine’s devil-may-care attitude or the raunchy sex scenes, but Cutler’s shamelessly bad prose (”Even if I was ending up in a hotel room with freaky perverts like Paul, at least it got me out of the house”). The reader, it seems, isn’t worth the effort.
The Washingtonienne As thinly veiled as the breasts gracing its cover, Jessica Cutler's roman à clef, The Washingtonienne, follows 25-year-old...The WashingtonienneFictionJessica Cutler As thinly veiled as the breasts gracing its cover, Jessica Cutler's roman à clef, The Washingtonienne, follows 25-year-old...2005-05-30Hyperion
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jessica Cutler; Publisher: Hyperion
Posted May 30 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!