As thinly veiled as the breasts gracing its cover, Jessica Cutler’s roman à clef, The Washingtonienne, follows 25-year-old Jacqueline Turner, who moves to Washington, D.C., determined to live up to the old L’Oréal motto — ”Because I’m worth it.” Turner, who wears a mink to her internship in a Senate office, beds down several influential men, including one married ”agency chief of staff” who pays for her company. But just like Cutler, who was fired from her Capitol Hill job in 2004 for writing a blog about similar sexploits under the pseudonym Washingtonienne, Turner can’t help but kiss-and-post. What’s really shocking isn’t the heroine’s devil-may-care attitude or the raunchy sex scenes, but Cutler’s shamelessly bad prose (”Even if I was ending up in a hotel room with freaky perverts like Paul, at least it got me out of the house”). The reader, it seems, isn’t worth the effort.
The Washingtonienne As thinly veiled as the breasts gracing its cover, Jessica Cutler's roman à clef, The Washingtonienne, follows 25-year-old...The WashingtonienneFictionJessica Cutler As thinly veiled as the breasts gracing its cover, Jessica Cutler's roman à clef, The Washingtonienne, follows 25-year-old...2005-05-30Hyperion
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jessica Cutler; Publisher: Hyperion
Posted May 30 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Weekend Update team pokes fun at Bernie Sanders supporters at DNC
- Joe Jonas surprises Demi Lovato with 'Camp Rock' reunion
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson auditions to play Thomas Jefferson at #Ham4Ham
- Lorde's Uber driver didn't recognize her
- Lupita Nyong'o and David Oyelowo star in trailer for 'Queen of Katwe'
- 'Arrested Development' boss: 'We're ready to go' on season 5
- James Cameron to premiere climate change short film at DNC
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels