Michael Kun entertains some fairly profound questions in his deft and zany little novel, You Poor Monster, even if he never arrives at any satisfying answers. Ordinary-guy lawyer Hamilton Ashe is awakened one night by a charming, disheveled neighbor requesting a scotch and soda and help with his divorce. This is Sam Shoogey, novelist. Or is it Sam Shoogey, insurance salesman? Or is this epic talker — ”He was cheerful, and he was grave, and he moved from one to the other with amphibious ease” — a pathological liar? Kun never quite manages to make you care, but he makes you think: ”The lives of…everyone we will ever meet are essentially unknowable. All we can ever know about them are the stories they tell us, and if those stories aren’t true, what then? What then?”
You Poor Monster Michael Kun entertains some fairly profound questions in his deft and zany little novel, You Poor Monster, even if he never arrives at...You Poor MonsterFictionMichael Kun Michael Kun entertains some fairly profound questions in his deft and zany little novel, You Poor Monster, even if he never arrives at...2005-05-30MacAdam/Cage
Genre: Fiction; Author: Michael Kun; Publisher: MacAdam/Cage
Posted May 30 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!