Michael Kun entertains some fairly profound questions in his deft and zany little novel, You Poor Monster, even if he never arrives at any satisfying answers. Ordinary-guy lawyer Hamilton Ashe is awakened one night by a charming, disheveled neighbor requesting a scotch and soda and help with his divorce. This is Sam Shoogey, novelist. Or is it Sam Shoogey, insurance salesman? Or is this epic talker — ”He was cheerful, and he was grave, and he moved from one to the other with amphibious ease” — a pathological liar? Kun never quite manages to make you care, but he makes you think: ”The lives of…everyone we will ever meet are essentially unknowable. All we can ever know about them are the stories they tell us, and if those stories aren’t true, what then? What then?”
You Poor Monster Michael Kun entertains some fairly profound questions in his deft and zany little novel, You Poor Monster, even if he never arrives at...You Poor MonsterFictionMichael Kun Michael Kun entertains some fairly profound questions in his deft and zany little novel, You Poor Monster, even if he never arrives at...2005-05-30MacAdam/Cage
Genre: Fiction; Author: Michael Kun; Publisher: MacAdam/Cage
Posted May 30 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First trailer for Zoolander 2 asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- NFL legend Jerry Rice heads to 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!