If imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery, then Trey Songz’s hit ”Open the Closet” should have R. Kelly blushing. So taken was the R&B newcomer with the first chapter of Kelly’s popular ”Trapped in the Closet” musical soap opera that he recorded an ”answer” track. The revamped version finds the 20-year-old Virginia native uncannily mimicking his idol — who declined to comment — as he offers another vantage point on Kelly’s adulterous plotline. ”I listened to [the original] intensely,” says Songz (a.k.a. Tremaine Neverson), whose debut album, I Gotta Make It, drops July 26 on Songbook/Atlantic. ”Then I sat down and recorded it myself. It took about 45 minutes.” Circulated on several underground mixtapes, the tune started receiving major radio play from coast to coast. ”That bugged me the hell out!” he says. ”It’s a thing I did for fun that got more shine than it was meant to get.”
Posted June 6 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- See Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer dance on Billy Joel's piano
- Pierce Brosnan tells Kimmel why he turned down 'Batman'
- Macklemore got Ken Griffey Jr. to recreate his famous rookie card
- Celebrate Shania Twain's birthday by playing 'Shania lyric or motivational poster?'
- Justin Bieber drops 'What Do You Mean?' after online leak
- Snoop Dogg watches tree frogs have an orgy on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!