Stars are rushing across the gangplank to board the soon-to-shoot Warner Bros. remake of The Poseidon Adventure. It’s the same plot as the cult-fave 1972 disaster movie — when a tidal wave capsizes a cruise ship, the survivors struggle to climb to the bottom of the upside-down ocean liner. But the characters are a little different, according to the Hollywood Reporter. For instance, Richard Dreyfuss is playing a gay man who split with his longtime partner shortly before the cruise. Kurt Russell is a former fireman traveling with his daughter (Phantom of the Opera’s Emmy Rossum) and her boyfriend (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants’ Mike Vogel). Sweet Home Alabama’s Josh Lucas is aboard as a ship-hopping gambler. Homicide’s Andre Braugher is in talks to play the Poseidon’s captain. Screenwriters Mark Protosevich (The Cell ) and Akiva Goldsman have based their script on Paul Gallico’s novel. Directing is Wolfgang Petersen, who you’d think would have had enough of maritime disasters after The Perfect Storm, not to mention his submarine classic Das Boot. Shooting begins June 18 at the Warner Bros. studio lot.
Posted June 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Madonna calls out 'blatant sexism' in Billboard acceptance speech
- Arnold Schwarzenegger on Donald Trump: 'I want my ratings higher than his'
- WATCH: Patrick Wilson, Ian McShane face off in 'The Hollow Point' clip
- 'Days of our Lives' actor Joseph Mascolo dies at 87
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Bruce Campbell previews 'pretty big' season finale
- Shaquille O'Neal lip syncs Beyoncé's 'All Night'
- MSNBC anchor apologizes for saying Fox News held party at Trump hotel