In the opening moments of this Get Shorty follow-up, a ruffled Chili Palmer (John Travolta) threatens to quit the movie business after he gets suckered into producing a crappy sequel. His frustration provides one of the few real laughs of the movie, but the joke is definitely on Travolta & Co., in a sad example of art imitating life. With the script shamefully repackaging the best scenes from Shorty in a music industry setting — often resurrecting the very same lines — Be Cool lacks the freshness of the original, which benefited from Chili’s (and writer Elmore Leonard’s) genuine fascination with all movies, good and bad. EXTRAS Director F. Gary Gray set out to throw the party of the year with this movie, and there are stars aplenty in a making-of and five ”Close Up” featurettes. In one, Travolta and Thurman work on steps for their dance-floor reunion. In another, The Rock himself sings in a deliberately gawd-awful music video, and Gray delights in its tackiness: ”It set the tone for the whole movie.” Indeed.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Andre 3000, Cedric the Entertainer, Danny DeVito, Dwayne ''The Rock'' Johnson, Harvey Keitel, Christina Milian, Vince Vaughn, James Woods; Director: F. Gary Gray; Author: Scott Frank, Peter Steinfeld; Release Date Wide: 03/04/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted June 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!