In the opening moments of this Get Shorty follow-up, a ruffled Chili Palmer (John Travolta) threatens to quit the movie business after he gets suckered into producing a crappy sequel. His frustration provides one of the few real laughs of the movie, but the joke is definitely on Travolta & Co., in a sad example of art imitating life. With the script shamefully repackaging the best scenes from Shorty in a music industry setting — often resurrecting the very same lines — Be Cool lacks the freshness of the original, which benefited from Chili’s (and writer Elmore Leonard’s) genuine fascination with all movies, good and bad. EXTRAS Director F. Gary Gray set out to throw the party of the year with this movie, and there are stars aplenty in a making-of and five ”Close Up” featurettes. In one, Travolta and Thurman work on steps for their dance-floor reunion. In another, The Rock himself sings in a deliberately gawd-awful music video, and Gray delights in its tackiness: ”It set the tone for the whole movie.” Indeed.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Andre 3000, Cedric the Entertainer, Danny DeVito, Dwayne ''The Rock'' Johnson, Harvey Keitel, Christina Milian, Vince Vaughn, James Woods; Director: F. Gary Gray; Author: Scott Frank, Peter Steinfeld; Release Date Wide: 03/04/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted June 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!