You’d think you’d know what you’re in for when the credits sequence traces the reproductive journey of killer-doll sperm. Still, though self-referential to the point of inanity, the fifth Child’s Play film reveals a genuine braininess behind gory effects that are more silly than scary. In a conceit worthy of Charlie Kaufman — okay, maybe Donald Kaufman — Bride of Chucky’s Jennifer Tilly, now playing herself, gamely delivers lines like ”I’m an Oscar nominee, for chrissakes, now I’m f—ing a puppet” and dishes about Bound costar Gina Gershon. Cinehipsters will no doubt appreciate that Chucky makes air quotes and that his gender-confused spawn resembles art-rock diva Laurie Anderson. EXTRAS Those interested in a movie called Seed of Chucky will be satisfied with no less than the unrated — um, ”fully extended” — version. There’s the usual array of goodies (storyboards, a ”slashed” scene, featurettes), but the highlight — witty commentary by Tilly and writer-director Don Mancini — references tasty deleted sequences not included here (what gives?). During a TV clip from the mun2 channel, an interviewer asks Tilly, ”It’s more comedy than humor now, right?” That’s certainly an intriguing way to put it.
Seed of Chucky You'd think you'd know what you're in for when the credits sequence traces the reproductive journey of killer-doll sperm. Still, though self...Seed of ChuckyDon ManciniPT87MR You'd think you'd know what you're in for when the credits sequence traces the reproductive journey of killer-doll sperm. Still, though self...2005-06-07Billy BoydRedmanFocus
Starring: Brad Dourif, Jennifer Tilly; Starring: Billy Boyd, Redman; Director: Don Mancini; Author: Don Mancini; Release Date Wide: 11/12/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!