You’d think you’d know what you’re in for when the credits sequence traces the reproductive journey of killer-doll sperm. Still, though self-referential to the point of inanity, the fifth Child’s Play film reveals a genuine braininess behind gory effects that are more silly than scary. In a conceit worthy of Charlie Kaufman — okay, maybe Donald Kaufman — Bride of Chucky’s Jennifer Tilly, now playing herself, gamely delivers lines like ”I’m an Oscar nominee, for chrissakes, now I’m f—ing a puppet” and dishes about Bound costar Gina Gershon. Cinehipsters will no doubt appreciate that Chucky makes air quotes and that his gender-confused spawn resembles art-rock diva Laurie Anderson. EXTRAS Those interested in a movie called Seed of Chucky will be satisfied with no less than the unrated — um, ”fully extended” — version. There’s the usual array of goodies (storyboards, a ”slashed” scene, featurettes), but the highlight — witty commentary by Tilly and writer-director Don Mancini — references tasty deleted sequences not included here (what gives?). During a TV clip from the mun2 channel, an interviewer asks Tilly, ”It’s more comedy than humor now, right?” That’s certainly an intriguing way to put it.
Seed of Chucky You'd think you'd know what you're in for when the credits sequence traces the reproductive journey of killer-doll sperm. Still, though self...Seed of ChuckyDon ManciniPT87MR You'd think you'd know what you're in for when the credits sequence traces the reproductive journey of killer-doll sperm. Still, though self...2005-06-07Billy BoydRedmanFocus
Starring: Brad Dourif, Jennifer Tilly; Starring: Billy Boyd, Redman; Director: Don Mancini; Author: Don Mancini; Release Date Wide: 11/12/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus
Posted June 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game