Ten-year reunions are fun. Who got fat? Who got married? What happened to the dark-haired boy you mooned over in homeroom? They’re a little less fun, however, without the element of surprise. When Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill came out in 1995, it exploded like a giant Canadian grrrl bomb, selling more than 30 million copies worldwide. Today, of course, the raven-haired banshee who howled ”I’m here to remind you/Of the mess you left when you went away” has mellowed into a kinder, gentler creature, a champion of the dear-diary, incense-and-vanilla-candles school of confessional songwriting. JLP Acoustic, though pretty, the stripped-down treatment of tracks like ”You Oughta Know” is mostly free of innovation, softening rather than sharpening the originals’ enjoyably jagged edges. Call it Sort of Pointy Pill.
(Alanis Morissette: Stephane Gizard/Starface/Retna)
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Alanis Morissette; Producer (group): Maverick, Warner Bros.
Posted June 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Jackman shares ‘Wolverine’ teaser image and asks for fan input
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!