Ten-year reunions are fun. Who got fat? Who got married? What happened to the dark-haired boy you mooned over in homeroom? They’re a little less fun, however, without the element of surprise. When Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill came out in 1995, it exploded like a giant Canadian grrrl bomb, selling more than 30 million copies worldwide. Today, of course, the raven-haired banshee who howled ”I’m here to remind you/Of the mess you left when you went away” has mellowed into a kinder, gentler creature, a champion of the dear-diary, incense-and-vanilla-candles school of confessional songwriting. JLP Acoustic, though pretty, the stripped-down treatment of tracks like ”You Oughta Know” is mostly free of innovation, softening rather than sharpening the originals’ enjoyably jagged edges. Call it Sort of Pointy Pill.
(Alanis Morissette: Stephane Gizard/Starface/Retna)
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Alanis Morissette; Producer (group): Maverick, Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip
- 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massive earthquake! A crossover!
- 'New Girl' casts Anna George as Cece's mother for season 5
- Grimes to open for Lana Del Rey on Endless Summer Tour
- Rihanna pranks Jimmy Kimmel in his own bed for April Fools' Day: Sneak preview