Ten-year reunions are fun. Who got fat? Who got married? What happened to the dark-haired boy you mooned over in homeroom? They’re a little less fun, however, without the element of surprise. When Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill came out in 1995, it exploded like a giant Canadian grrrl bomb, selling more than 30 million copies worldwide. Today, of course, the raven-haired banshee who howled ”I’m here to remind you/Of the mess you left when you went away” has mellowed into a kinder, gentler creature, a champion of the dear-diary, incense-and-vanilla-candles school of confessional songwriting. JLP Acoustic, though pretty, the stripped-down treatment of tracks like ”You Oughta Know” is mostly free of innovation, softening rather than sharpening the originals’ enjoyably jagged edges. Call it Sort of Pointy Pill.
(Alanis Morissette: Stephane Gizard/Starface/Retna)
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Alanis Morissette; Producer (group): Maverick, Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- The cast of 'Bates Motel' sums up the show's plot in 30 seconds
- 'Ant-Man' poster highlights new characters
- Harper Lee's 'Go Set a Watchman' gets endorsement from News Corp CEO
- BBC America sets summer premiere date for 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'
- Kellie Pickler covers Tammy Wynette's 'Stand By Your Man'
- Jimmy Kimmel makes fake commercial for Met Gala 'Rihanket'
- 'Chicken Run' director sets up next film
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!