It’s a good bet that the intended audience for Herbie: Fully Loaded isn’t familiar with the Herbies that have ground gears and batted headlight eyelids before in the kitsch Disney franchise: The groovy 1963 Volkswagen Bug with racing in its blood (or in its transmission fluid) and matchmaking in its heart (or in its engine block) was a sentimental invention of a kinder, fuzzier automotive era. And for those newbies, this update, starring peppery Disney re-do queen Lindsay Lohan as wannabe car racer Maggie Peyton, is as serviceable an introduction as any to the notion of a sentient set of wheels. Among the clues that this is not your father’s Volkswagen: Maggie’s a college graduate with career options that include a gig at ESPN; and Herbie has the hots for a snazzy late-model yellow VW Beetle, the sight of which makes his radio antenna extend.
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Matt Dillon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon, Michael Keaton, Justin Long, Breckin Meyer, Rusty Wallace; Director: Angela Robinson; Author: Robert Ben Garant, Alfred Gough, Thomas Lennon, Miles Millar; Release Date Wide: 06/24/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted June 15 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors
- Cecilia Hart, wife of James Earl Jones, dies at 68
- Tom Cruise, Jude Law compare on-set underwater breath-holding stories
- 'Deadpool 2' loses director Tim Miller
- Steve Dillon, 'Preacher' comic book artist and co-creator, dies
- Adam Levine responds to sick teen's heartwarming Maroon 5 cover
- Tom Cruise addresses 'Top Gun 2' rumors: 'We're trying to figure it out'