It’s a good bet that the intended audience for Herbie: Fully Loaded isn’t familiar with the Herbies that have ground gears and batted headlight eyelids before in the kitsch Disney franchise: The groovy 1963 Volkswagen Bug with racing in its blood (or in its transmission fluid) and matchmaking in its heart (or in its engine block) was a sentimental invention of a kinder, fuzzier automotive era. And for those newbies, this update, starring peppery Disney re-do queen Lindsay Lohan as wannabe car racer Maggie Peyton, is as serviceable an introduction as any to the notion of a sentient set of wheels. Among the clues that this is not your father’s Volkswagen: Maggie’s a college graduate with career options that include a gig at ESPN; and Herbie has the hots for a snazzy late-model yellow VW Beetle, the sight of which makes his radio antenna extend.
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Matt Dillon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon, Michael Keaton, Justin Long, Breckin Meyer, Rusty Wallace; Director: Angela Robinson; Author: Robert Ben Garant, Alfred Gough, Thomas Lennon, Miles Millar; Release Date Wide: 06/24/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted June 15 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Talk about a Revolution: 'TURN's showrunner on season 2 and the new poster
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates