It’s a good bet that the intended audience for Herbie: Fully Loaded isn’t familiar with the Herbies that have ground gears and batted headlight eyelids before in the kitsch Disney franchise: The groovy 1963 Volkswagen Bug with racing in its blood (or in its transmission fluid) and matchmaking in its heart (or in its engine block) was a sentimental invention of a kinder, fuzzier automotive era. And for those newbies, this update, starring peppery Disney re-do queen Lindsay Lohan as wannabe car racer Maggie Peyton, is as serviceable an introduction as any to the notion of a sentient set of wheels. Among the clues that this is not your father’s Volkswagen: Maggie’s a college graduate with career options that include a gig at ESPN; and Herbie has the hots for a snazzy late-model yellow VW Beetle, the sight of which makes his radio antenna extend.
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Matt Dillon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon, Michael Keaton, Justin Long, Breckin Meyer, Rusty Wallace; Director: Angela Robinson; Author: Robert Ben Garant, Alfred Gough, Thomas Lennon, Miles Millar; Release Date Wide: 06/24/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted June 15 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sherlock': Martin Freeman on how Baby Watson will change the show
- WATCH our primer on the Critics' Choice Awards Best Picture nominees
- Read an excerpt and see the trailer for 'All Our Wrong Todays'
- Liam Payne, Zayn Malik support Louis Tomlinson after momther's death
- 'Fast & Furious 8' gets official title ahead of trailer debut
- Greta Gerwig on transformative '20th Century Women' dance parties
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Bruce Campbell deals with a Deadite in exclusive clip