Could mainstream success be getting John Waters down? Cry-Baby, the jailhouse-rockin’ tribute to ’50s juvie movies may be set to follow Hairspray onto Broadway, but before it does, Waters has retouched its Technicolor with a spattering of filth. Don’t worry: Depp’s lachrymose rockabilly cat still rules the roost. EXTRAS There’s nothing overtly scandalous in the seven restored minutes — the squares drop trou, Traci Lords gets kidnapped by a basement pornographer, a little girl bends herself into a human wheel. But they’re off-color enough to tip the balance in the greasers’ favor. Plus, two far-reaching featurettes expose Johnny Depp as having two left feet and reveal that the cast traded jailbird stories to make former porn star Lords feel at home: Asked Amy Locane of costar Patricia Hearst, ”So, what were you arrested for?”
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Musical; Starring: Johnny Depp, Amy Locane, Polly Bergen, Willem Dafoe, Troy Donahue, Patricia Hearst, Joey Heatherton, Joe Dallesandro, Ricki Lake, Traci Lords, Stephen Mailer, Iggy Pop, Mink Stole, Susan Tyrrell; Director: John Waters; Author: John Waters; Release Date Wide: 04/06/1990; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal
Posted July 8 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- Hulu executive explains decision to pull '19 Kids & Counting'
- Mariah Carey calls 'American Idol' stint 'the worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy
- Hilary Duff shares the track listing for 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.'