Unquestionably unconventional, these indie darlings from San Jose, Calif., Xiu Xiu, once again bring an uncanny poignancy to their chorus of chaos on their fourth full-length, La Forêt. ”Pox” and ”Muppet Face” set Jamie Stewart’s plaintive whisper and delicate acoustic strums to a cacophony of lo-fi synths, kitchenware clangs, and otherworldly blips and whirls for an experience that’s at times quaintly dreamy, at others spastically nightmarish. Imagine Bright Eyes fed through a meat grinder — but in a good way.
Genre: Indie Rock; Producer (group): 5 Rue Christine
Posted July 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters