The talented minds behind Amélie, the quirky 2001 French film that introduced doll-eyed Audrey Tautou to American audiences, focus their vibrant visual sensibility upon a darker tale. Superstitious Mathilde (Tautou) refuses to believe the news that her fiancé, Manech (Gaspard Ulliel), died during the war and sets out to find him in A Very Long Engagement. Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet expertly depicts the grim realities of trench warfare during World War I while simultaneously dazzling us with the beauty of 1919 Paris and the French countryside. But, as even Jeunet concedes in his commentary (in French with English subtitles — mon Dieu!), ”the story is so complicated…even we were lost at times.” Moreover, the clever narrative style that made Amélie so endearing disrupts the timbre of this somber piece. Think Edith Piaf singing a Tammy Wynette tune. EXTRAS The film’s deft, seamless blend of CG effects — of Paris, of an exploding zeppelin — is revealed in a 73-minute making-of and two featurettes. In his commentary, Jeunet playfully commends Jodie Foster’s cameo: ”She has a nice future in front of her.”
A Very Long Engagement The talented minds behind Amélie, the quirky 2001 French film that introduced doll-eyed Audrey Tautou to American audiences, focus their...A Very Long Engagement The talented minds behind Amélie, the quirky 2001 French film that introduced doll-eyed Audrey Tautou to American audiences, focus their...2005-07-19Dominique PinonJodie FosterGaspard Ulliel
Starring: Audrey Tautou; Starring: Dominique Pinon, Jodie Foster, Gaspard Ulliel; Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; Release Date Wide: 11/26/2004
Posted July 19 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!