Two years ago, the Pussycat Dolls were a risqué L.A. burlesque troupe whose eye-popping live shows drew a celeb-heavy cult following and guest dancers like Carmen Electra and Christina Applegate. This week, they’re radio faves with a slinky top 10 hit called ”Don’t Cha.” That a barely dressed vamp act became a charting pop group with a major-label album (due Sept. 13) is strange enough. What’s more curious is that the very same tune was a minor radio hit earlier this year. The original was sung by Atlanta-based makeup artist, stylist, and former OutKast backup singer Tori Alamaze. Unfortunately for Alamaze, her version only reached No. 53 on Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and Universal dropped the singer before her full-length CD came out. The label then asked the song’s producer and writer, Atlanta rapper/singer Cee-Lo, to rerecord ”Don’t Cha” with the Pussycat Dolls, who it was trying to reinvent as a slick girl group. ”Initially, I was skeptical, I didn’t know too much about them,” says Cee-Lo. ”But when I found out that [Universal-owned] Interscope Records was involved, that was an alliance I didn’t hesitate to make.” The two records are strikingly similar (save for a guest rap from Busta Rhymes on the Dolls’). Admits the group’s lead singer Nicole Scherzinger: ”I had [Alamaze’s] version as a guide. But ours is just a bit fresher.” Not surprisingly, Alamaze is irked: ”I like to call them the Copycat Dolls. It’s an attempt to sound like what I did, but it just sounds real watered-down.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!