A movie that would scarcely deserve a place on the bottom shelf of reality TV, My Date With Drew is an act of petty self-promotional chutzpah disguised as self-mockery. Its featured putz, Brian Herzlinger, is one of those charmless gasbag hustlers who fill up the background of every third party in L.A. Armed with $1,100 and a video camera, Herzlinger spends 30 days trying to penetrate the walls of showbiz flackery so that he can get a date with Drew Barrymore, his lifelong celebrity crush. Along the way, we’re expected to find this ”nice Jewish boy” adorable as he pesters his industry contacts, gets his blackheads squeezed by a facialist, and sings ”Walking on Sunshine,” all the while stealing looks into the camera so we can see how funny he finds himself. (At least someone’s laughing.) My Date With Drew is stupefyingly tedious and annoying, since even Herzlinger’s fixation on Barrymore comes off as a quasi-sham. What he really craves is a date with fame, a mistress destined to stand him up.
My Date With DrewA movie that would scarcely deserve a place on the bottom shelf of reality TV, My Date With Drew is an act of petty self-promotional...My Date With DrewDocumentaryPT91MPGA movie that would scarcely deserve a place on the bottom shelf of reality TV, My Date With Drew is an act of petty self-promotional...2005-08-03Slow Hand Releasing
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jon Gunn, Brian Herzlinger, Brett Winn; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Slow Hand Releasing
Posted August 3 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'It Follows' star says response to film has been 'crazy'
- The world's friendliest Satanist stars in Suneaters' 'Hey Bros!' video -- exclusive
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!