A movie that would scarcely deserve a place on the bottom shelf of reality TV, My Date With Drew is an act of petty self-promotional chutzpah disguised as self-mockery. Its featured putz, Brian Herzlinger, is one of those charmless gasbag hustlers who fill up the background of every third party in L.A. Armed with $1,100 and a video camera, Herzlinger spends 30 days trying to penetrate the walls of showbiz flackery so that he can get a date with Drew Barrymore, his lifelong celebrity crush. Along the way, we’re expected to find this ”nice Jewish boy” adorable as he pesters his industry contacts, gets his blackheads squeezed by a facialist, and sings ”Walking on Sunshine,” all the while stealing looks into the camera so we can see how funny he finds himself. (At least someone’s laughing.) My Date With Drew is stupefyingly tedious and annoying, since even Herzlinger’s fixation on Barrymore comes off as a quasi-sham. What he really craves is a date with fame, a mistress destined to stand him up.
My Date With DrewA movie that would scarcely deserve a place on the bottom shelf of reality TV, My Date With Drew is an act of petty self-promotional...My Date With DrewDocumentaryPT91MPGA movie that would scarcely deserve a place on the bottom shelf of reality TV, My Date With Drew is an act of petty self-promotional...2005-08-03Slow Hand Releasing
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jon Gunn, Brian Herzlinger, Brett Winn; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Slow Hand Releasing
Posted August 3 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!