In playwright Nina Shengold’s first novel, the dense, remote forests of the Pacific Northwest are foggy with more than just precipitation: Her logging-crew protagonists — rugged loner Earley, privileged Berkeley dropout Reed, and troubled femme fatale Zan — spend nearly half the book steaming up the metaphorical windows with their improvised couplings. And though Clearcut sounds like a drugstore bodice-ripper in premise, Shengold easily elevates it with her devotion to the souls — and not just the commingling body parts — of her characters, as well as her pungent language (a freshly cut log kicks up ”a backwash of warm cedar sawdust, as fragrant as cinnamon”).
Clearcut In playwright Nina Shengold's first novel, the dense, remote forests of the Pacific Northwest are foggy with more than just precipitation: Her logging...ClearcutFictionNina Shengold In playwright Nina Shengold's first novel, the dense, remote forests of the Pacific Northwest are foggy with more than just precipitation: Her logging...2005-08-05Anchor Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Nina Shengold; Publisher: Anchor Books
Posted August 5 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Everything you should live stream from Lollapalooza this weekend
- How Ice Cube's son really got his breakout role in 'Straight Outta Compton'
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best comedic actor nominees
- Jason Bateman is suspicious of Joel Edgerton in exclusive clip of 'The Gift'
- 'X-Men' alum Famke Janssen joins 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Bottoms up! Here's your 'Bachelor in Paradise' drinking game
- New Dirk Gently TV show in the works from Chronicle writer
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!