Agnès Jaoui’s subtle tale of celebrity and its effects presents itself as a comedy, but if that connotes Will Ferrell, you’ll be disappointed. In Look at Me, Etienne (Jean-Pierre Bacri) is a famous writer whose plump daughter, Lolita (Marilou Berry), aches for his attention. But he prefers the surrounding sycophants, whose adulation gives him license to behave like a major brat. Jaoui’s most compelling theme is how those drawn to Etienne, including Lolita, emulate his nastiest traits. Clearly the director likes her humor more tart than sweet, a choice that distances the audience from the characters. EXTRAS This distance might have been bridged by including some of the deleted scenes, which are more blatant and less intellectual (most notably, one of Lolita singing ”My Heart Belongs to Daddy”); we probably would have ended up laughing more but respecting the work less. The making-of featurette, meanwhile, is even talkier than this already talky film.
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Marilou Berry, Agnes Jaoui, Jean-Pierre Bacri, Laurent Grevill; Director: Agnes Jaoui; Author: Jean-Pierre Bacri, Agnes Jaoui; Release Date Limited: 04/01/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 5 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- Kim Kardashian West is Wonder Woman in Halloween throwback photo
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop