Agnès Jaoui’s subtle tale of celebrity and its effects presents itself as a comedy, but if that connotes Will Ferrell, you’ll be disappointed. In Look at Me, Etienne (Jean-Pierre Bacri) is a famous writer whose plump daughter, Lolita (Marilou Berry), aches for his attention. But he prefers the surrounding sycophants, whose adulation gives him license to behave like a major brat. Jaoui’s most compelling theme is how those drawn to Etienne, including Lolita, emulate his nastiest traits. Clearly the director likes her humor more tart than sweet, a choice that distances the audience from the characters. EXTRAS This distance might have been bridged by including some of the deleted scenes, which are more blatant and less intellectual (most notably, one of Lolita singing ”My Heart Belongs to Daddy”); we probably would have ended up laughing more but respecting the work less. The making-of featurette, meanwhile, is even talkier than this already talky film.
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Marilou Berry, Agnes Jaoui, Jean-Pierre Bacri, Laurent Grevill; Director: Agnes Jaoui; Author: Jean-Pierre Bacri, Agnes Jaoui; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 5 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alison Brie sprinkles some Salt-N-Pepa over her 'Lip Sync Battle': Watch
- See the first full promo for 'Bachelor in Paradise' season 2
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series sets fall premiere date
- Which Avengers member is definitely in 'Ant-Man'?
- Chris Pratt used his raptor-whispering skills on the Avengers
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Sam Raimi on why he likes to torment Bruce Campbell
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 2': Liam Hemsworth in war paint for new Gale poster (EW exclusive)
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!