Dr. Siri Paiboun is your average 70-something Laotian coroner who sees and talks to spirits, thinks he’s the reincarnation of a 1,050-year-old Hmong shaman, and spends much of his time flouting the whims of his country’s wacky Communist government. But Colin Cotterill overcomes the potential pitfalls in his rather unpredictable mystery, Thirty-Three Teeth, by triumphantly braving the tightrope between quirky humor (”Diarrhea, in its most vindictive state, can erase even thoughts of terror”) and the surreal macabre (”He stood there over me, wrenched at his head with both hands, and snapped his own neck. He almost pulled it clean off”). Oddly, moments of would-be silliness — when Siri tells his disgruntled and dying ex-neighbor, ”You have to beg forgiveness from the spirit of the dog for what you did” — emerge instead as tragically funny and magically sublime.
Thirty-Three Teeth Dr. Siri Paiboun is your average 70-something Laotian coroner who sees and talks to spirits, thinks he's the reincarnation of a 1,050-year-old Hmong...Thirty-Three TeethMystery and Thriller, FictionColin Cotterill Dr. Siri Paiboun is your average 70-something Laotian coroner who sees and talks to spirits, thinks he's the reincarnation of a 1,050-year-old Hmong...2005-08-05Soho
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Colin Cotterill; Publisher: Soho
Posted August 5 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Daniel Radcliffe to star in Amazon-set thriller 'Jungle'
- Tilda Swinton is the woman of the century in 'A Bigger Splash' trailer
- See 'Warcraft,' 'Independence Day' toys ahead of Toy Fair 2016
- Kylie Jenner has been filming her own soap opera on Snapchat
- 'Agent Carter' in jeopardy? Hayley Atwell cast in new ABC pilot
- Can you match the movie quote to the romantic love story?
- Hayley Atwell cast in 'Conviction' pilot at ABC
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday