It’s easy to yawn over news accounts of identity theft, but you will leap from your bed at midnight to change your e-mail password and cancel that rarely used Macy’s card after tearing through Jenefer Shute’s taut and delectable little thriller, User I.D.. Fat, frisky Charlene (she favors fake Cartier and Dr. Laura) steals the credit history of academic Vera de Sica (a red wine and Ibrahim Ferrer girl), using Vera’s info to buy gaudy jewelry and hack into her e-mail. Charlene constructs a glamorous fantasy about Vera that bears no resemblance to the depressed, impoverished professor, who finds herself feeling both horrifically violated and strangely drawn to the tasteless opportunist who has stolen her identity — and seemingly had more fun with it.
User I.D. It's easy to yawn over news accounts of identity theft, but you will leap from your bed at midnight to change your e-mail password and cancel that...User I.D.FictionJenefer Shute It's easy to yawn over news accounts of identity theft, but you will leap from your bed at midnight to change your e-mail password and cancel that...2005-08-10Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jenefer Shute; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted August 10 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alyssa Milano and 'Hacktivist' writers dish on comics and technology
- Lupita Nyong'o to star in New York play written by 'Walking Dead' star
- Bikini Kill will release three new songs
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on ... another sequel?
- Ivan Reitman releases statement on 'Ghostbusters' franchise
- 'Xena: Warrior Princess' stars reunite on Instagram
- 'The Good Wife's Archie Panjabi to guest-star on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!