Who says actors always go after the flashy roles? ”My character is neurotic and a little bit of a loner,” says Elijah Wood of Everything Is Illuminated. ”He’s uncomfortable and somewhat odd and strange. I enjoyed that.” Wood plays Jonathan, a somber young American who heads to Ukraine to find the woman he believes saved his grandfather in World War II. Based on Jonathan Safran Foer’s best-selling 2002 novel, Illuminated dovetailed with a story that writer-director Liev Schreiber just happened to be working on. ”I had already begun a road movie about a young guy who goes to Ukraine to find out where his grandfather was from,” he says. ”That’s what made it so wonderfully easy.” It might have been the only simple thing about Schreiber’s first-time directing gig, as he learned most of the technical aspects on the job and was forced to splurge on one of Hollywood’s top dog trainers to cast the key canine role of Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior. ”The dog trainer is really important,” he says. ”If [the dog] doesn’t perform, you’re screwed. But this dog was incredible. She did everything we wanted within the first two takes. Trying to get the other actors to perform at that level was sort of a feat.”
(EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED: Neil Davidson)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!