I can’t even remember when we made it,” deadpans Lasse Hallström (The Cider House Rules) of his long-delayed family drama. Originally shot during the spring of 2003, Life — which was adapted by the Virginia Korus Spraggs from husband Mark’s book — stars Jennifer Lopez as single mom Jean Gylkison, who reluctantly moves in with her estranged father-in-law, Einer (Robert Redford), a curmudgeonly Wyoming rancher, to escape an abusive ex-boyfriend (Damian Lewis). Along to help the distressed missus make the transition are Morgan Freeman’s grizzly-on-the-outside, gentle-on-the-inside wounded ranch hand and Josh Lucas’ friendly local sheriff. ”One might think that an old Swede like me would know very little about the American West, but I’m attracted to anything that has characters that leap off the page and come alive for me,” explains Stockholm native Hallström, who chose our neighbor to the north as a fill-in for the land o’ bison. Plus, ”one of our main cast members was a bear.” Only in Canada-pretending-to-be-America, folks.
(AN UNFINISHED LIFE: Doane Gregory)
Posted August 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen Colbert meets Mitt Romney in new 'Late Show' promo
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series delves into Star-Lord's origins
- Listen to this gorgeous harp cover of Taylor Swift’s ‘Style’
- See Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara handle awkward 'Fantastic Four' interview
- Lady Gaga gave Tony Bennett an enormous cake for his 89th birthday
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!