I can’t even remember when we made it,” deadpans Lasse Hallström (The Cider House Rules) of his long-delayed family drama. Originally shot during the spring of 2003, Life — which was adapted by the Virginia Korus Spraggs from husband Mark’s book — stars Jennifer Lopez as single mom Jean Gylkison, who reluctantly moves in with her estranged father-in-law, Einer (Robert Redford), a curmudgeonly Wyoming rancher, to escape an abusive ex-boyfriend (Damian Lewis). Along to help the distressed missus make the transition are Morgan Freeman’s grizzly-on-the-outside, gentle-on-the-inside wounded ranch hand and Josh Lucas’ friendly local sheriff. ”One might think that an old Swede like me would know very little about the American West, but I’m attracted to anything that has characters that leap off the page and come alive for me,” explains Stockholm native Hallström, who chose our neighbor to the north as a fill-in for the land o’ bison. Plus, ”one of our main cast members was a bear.” Only in Canada-pretending-to-be-America, folks.
(AN UNFINISHED LIFE: Doane Gregory)
Posted August 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!