I can’t even remember when we made it,” deadpans Lasse Hallström (The Cider House Rules) of his long-delayed family drama. Originally shot during the spring of 2003, Life — which was adapted by the Virginia Korus Spraggs from husband Mark’s book — stars Jennifer Lopez as single mom Jean Gylkison, who reluctantly moves in with her estranged father-in-law, Einer (Robert Redford), a curmudgeonly Wyoming rancher, to escape an abusive ex-boyfriend (Damian Lewis). Along to help the distressed missus make the transition are Morgan Freeman’s grizzly-on-the-outside, gentle-on-the-inside wounded ranch hand and Josh Lucas’ friendly local sheriff. ”One might think that an old Swede like me would know very little about the American West, but I’m attracted to anything that has characters that leap off the page and come alive for me,” explains Stockholm native Hallström, who chose our neighbor to the north as a fill-in for the land o’ bison. Plus, ”one of our main cast members was a bear.” Only in Canada-pretending-to-be-America, folks.
(AN UNFINISHED LIFE: Doane Gregory)
Posted August 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Patton Oswalt shares touching words from daughter after wife’s death
- Aretha Franklin performs 'Purple Rain' on International Jazz Day
- 'Penny Dreadful' season 3 sneak peek teases 'a terrible end'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' opens to $200 million internationally
- WATCH: Taylor John Smith on his 'Cruel Intentions' reboot audition
- Mads Mikkelsen says he wants to return for more 'Hannibal'
- See Kerry Washington, Kendall Jenner, and more celebs at the WHCD
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch