I can’t even remember when we made it,” deadpans Lasse Hallström (The Cider House Rules) of his long-delayed family drama. Originally shot during the spring of 2003, Life — which was adapted by the Virginia Korus Spraggs from husband Mark’s book — stars Jennifer Lopez as single mom Jean Gylkison, who reluctantly moves in with her estranged father-in-law, Einer (Robert Redford), a curmudgeonly Wyoming rancher, to escape an abusive ex-boyfriend (Damian Lewis). Along to help the distressed missus make the transition are Morgan Freeman’s grizzly-on-the-outside, gentle-on-the-inside wounded ranch hand and Josh Lucas’ friendly local sheriff. ”One might think that an old Swede like me would know very little about the American West, but I’m attracted to anything that has characters that leap off the page and come alive for me,” explains Stockholm native Hallström, who chose our neighbor to the north as a fill-in for the land o’ bison. Plus, ”one of our main cast members was a bear.” Only in Canada-pretending-to-be-America, folks.
(AN UNFINISHED LIFE: Doane Gregory)
Posted August 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Suits': Malcolm-Jamal Warner auditioned for the USA drama 4 times
- 'Gilmore Girls' creator says Rory and Lorelai can drink together now
- Slash surprises 'School of Rock' cast at rehearsal
- Kristen Stewart on relationship: ‘I'm just really in love with my girlfriend’
- 'Ithaca' trailer: Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks reunite in her directorial debut
- 'MacGyver': Tristin Mays joins the CBS reboot as series regular
- 'Gilmore Girls': Lorelai and Rory talk Amy Schumer in first trailer
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels