There once was a time when the terrorist threat against America came from within, when L.A. street gangs were one of law enforcement’s top priorities. Cotton Simpson, who says he’s the son of an absent major-league baseball player and an abusive mother, chronicles a good chunk of that time in his arresting memoir, Inside the Crips (authored with Ann Pearlman). In search of family bonds, Simpson joined the Crips when he was 10 (the year he killed his first man). Within five years, he was sentenced to the first of several stints in jail. The book’s most revealing passages recount his 12 years in prison, when (he claims) racist guards antagonized inmates as a precursor to beating them. Simpson, now 40, mostly avoids the urge to glamorize his gang years, offering a sometimes boastful but ultimately regretful tale of a life half wasted.
Inside the Crips There once was a time when the terrorist threat against America came from within, when L.A. street gangs were one of law enforcement's top priorities....Inside the CripsMemoir, NonfictionAnn Pearlman, Cotton Simpson There once was a time when the terrorist threat against America came from within, when L.A. street gangs were one of law enforcement's top priorities....2005-08-17St. Martin's Press
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Ann Pearlman, Cotton Simpson; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted August 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!