At its core, rapper 50 Cent’s autobiography (co-authored with Kris Ex) is a traditional rags-to-riches tale. Born in poverty, he’s currently swathed in gold chains. Much like Hustle & Flow, it’s a clichéd narrative made intriguing only by the setting (in this case, a rough section of Queens) and unusual protagonist. Co-written with music writer Kris Ex, From Pieces to Weight focuses mainly on the star’s chaotic early years, as 50 Cent (born Curtis Jackson) progresses from a rebellious preteen to a midlevel crack dealer with a Land Cruiser. Despite the rich material and appealing no-nonsense tone, Weight doesn’t reveal anything new about the man beneath the hulking pecs. Instead of introspection or dirt, we get a ghettoized version of Jack Welch’s Jack: Straight From the Gut, with plenty of bland aphorisms and swaggering tough talk.
From Pieces to WeightAt its core, rapper 50 Cent's autobiography (co-authored with Kris Ex) is a traditional rags-to-riches tale. Born in poverty, he's currently swathed in...From Pieces to WeightNonfiction, Memoir50 Cent, Kris ExAt its core, rapper 50 Cent's autobiography (co-authored with Kris Ex) is a traditional rags-to-riches tale. Born in poverty, he's currently swathed in...2005-08-17MTV Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: 50 Cent, Kris Ex; Status: In Season; Publisher: MTV Books
Posted August 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in The Crowded Room
- Blood, Next, Heaven, and more ambiguous film titles that confuse Google