At its core, rapper 50 Cent’s autobiography (co-authored with Kris Ex) is a traditional rags-to-riches tale. Born in poverty, he’s currently swathed in gold chains. Much like Hustle & Flow, it’s a clichéd narrative made intriguing only by the setting (in this case, a rough section of Queens) and unusual protagonist. Co-written with music writer Kris Ex, From Pieces to Weight focuses mainly on the star’s chaotic early years, as 50 Cent (born Curtis Jackson) progresses from a rebellious preteen to a midlevel crack dealer with a Land Cruiser. Despite the rich material and appealing no-nonsense tone, Weight doesn’t reveal anything new about the man beneath the hulking pecs. Instead of introspection or dirt, we get a ghettoized version of Jack Welch’s Jack: Straight From the Gut, with plenty of bland aphorisms and swaggering tough talk.
From Pieces to WeightAt its core, rapper 50 Cent's autobiography (co-authored with Kris Ex) is a traditional rags-to-riches tale. Born in poverty, he's currently swathed in...From Pieces to WeightNonfiction, Memoir50 Cent, Kris ExAt its core, rapper 50 Cent's autobiography (co-authored with Kris Ex) is a traditional rags-to-riches tale. Born in poverty, he's currently swathed in...2005-08-17MTV Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: 50 Cent, Kris Ex; Publisher: MTV Books
Posted August 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Julie Chen on 'Big Brother' showmances: 'Go for it!'
- Leonardo DiCaprio to play rock and roll innovator Sam Phillips
- 'Teen Wolf' cast added to EW PopFest lineup
- Donald Glover to play young Lando Calrissian in Han Solo movie
- Documentary sequel 'You've Been Trumped, Too' to be released next week
- 'Big Brother' contestants invade 'Bold and the Beautiful'
- ‘Justice League’ director celebrates Wonder Woman with new photo