Hot on the heels of baseball’s latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ”The Really Bad News Griffith Park Pirates.” (The team is bad news because it’s basically a bunch of drug-addled, alcohol-fueled L.A.-area misfits — to say nothing of the crack-smoking umpires.) Ex-Bad Religion drummer John Albert, a recovering junkie, often goes too far out of his way to give his teammates equal playing time: Shortstop Jacob’s journey through struggling-actordom is painstakingly detailed (it involves a bad perm and pig wrangling), as is third baseman Johnny’s dysfunctional love life (the stripper on speedballs wears out her welcome quickly). Yet he proves an affable, unsentimental narrator; his treatment of Chris, the cross-dressing catcher, is refreshingly matter-of-fact. A solid hit up the middle.
Wrecking Crew Hot on the heels of baseball's latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ''The Really Bad News...Wrecking CrewNonfiction, MemoirJohn Albert Hot on the heels of baseball's latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ''The Really Bad News...2005-08-17Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: John Albert; Publisher: Scribner
Posted August 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Patricia Arquette to voice witch in Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!