Hot on the heels of baseball’s latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ”The Really Bad News Griffith Park Pirates.” (The team is bad news because it’s basically a bunch of drug-addled, alcohol-fueled L.A.-area misfits — to say nothing of the crack-smoking umpires.) Ex-Bad Religion drummer John Albert, a recovering junkie, often goes too far out of his way to give his teammates equal playing time: Shortstop Jacob’s journey through struggling-actordom is painstakingly detailed (it involves a bad perm and pig wrangling), as is third baseman Johnny’s dysfunctional love life (the stripper on speedballs wears out her welcome quickly). Yet he proves an affable, unsentimental narrator; his treatment of Chris, the cross-dressing catcher, is refreshingly matter-of-fact. A solid hit up the middle.
Wrecking Crew Hot on the heels of baseball's latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ''The Really Bad News...Wrecking CrewNonfiction, MemoirJohn Albert Hot on the heels of baseball's latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ''The Really Bad News...2005-08-17Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: John Albert; Publisher: Scribner
Posted August 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Are 'The Revenant' and other Christmas releases at risk of losing SAG voters
- Scott Van Pelt on new midnight 'SportsCenter'
- See an exclusive clip from bonkers Italian horror movie spoof 'The Editor'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star James Pickens Jr. joins Twitter
- Telluride Film Festival lineup announced
- Shonda Rhimes & Viola Davis look back on that 'angry black woman' piece
- Sienna Miller's role was cut from 'Black Mass'
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!