Hot on the heels of baseball’s latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ”The Really Bad News Griffith Park Pirates.” (The team is bad news because it’s basically a bunch of drug-addled, alcohol-fueled L.A.-area misfits — to say nothing of the crack-smoking umpires.) Ex-Bad Religion drummer John Albert, a recovering junkie, often goes too far out of his way to give his teammates equal playing time: Shortstop Jacob’s journey through struggling-actordom is painstakingly detailed (it involves a bad perm and pig wrangling), as is third baseman Johnny’s dysfunctional love life (the stripper on speedballs wears out her welcome quickly). Yet he proves an affable, unsentimental narrator; his treatment of Chris, the cross-dressing catcher, is refreshingly matter-of-fact. A solid hit up the middle.
Wrecking Crew Hot on the heels of baseball's latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ''The Really Bad News...Wrecking CrewNonfiction, MemoirJohn Albert Hot on the heels of baseball's latest steroid scandal comes Wrecking Crew, the sometimes too frank tale of ''The Really Bad News...2005-08-17Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: John Albert; Publisher: Scribner
Posted August 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6