It’s clear that writer-director Andrew Niccol did his homework before making Lord of War, the tale of an international arms dealer. Watching the movie, which is like a feature-length trailer crossed with a lecture held together by Nicolas Cage’s ”hard-boiled” narration (”They say every man has his price, but not every man gets it”), we learn that the outlaws who sell arms on the black market deal in Uzis, Glocks, and Kalashnikov assault rifles; that they’ll offer their products to everyone from the rebels of Lebanon to the dictator of Liberia (Eamonn Walker). More than that — and this is the film’s big insight, so hold on to your popcorn — we learn that weapons salesmen are sleazy troubleshooters who don’t care about the harm they cause. Gosh. Cage’s Yuri Orlov, partnering with his party-boy brother (Jared Leto), isn’t much more than a generic crooked businessman boating off in dangerous gray suits to the world’s trouble spots. Lord of War comes on like it’s the GoodFellas of global assault hardware, but Niccol stages ideas for scenes rather than the scenes themselves. He never quite creates a present tense, and the result is a dead pile of information in search of a movie.
(Lord of War: Garth Stead)
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Ethan Hawke, Jared Leto, Bridget Moynahan, Donald Sutherland, Eamonn Walker, Jeffrey Wright; Director: Andrew Niccol; Author: Andrew Niccol; Release Date Wide: 09/16/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted September 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chinese filmmaker denies ripping off 'Cars'
- Watch your emotions get dramatic in 'Inside Out' and 'Inception' mashup trailer
- 'Doctor Who' stars lend voices to 'Lego Dimensions' game
- Exclusive: Catch up on 'Rectify' with a 'Serial'-inspired podcast
- Let's rewatch the eerie first trailer for Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle'
- U2 releases trailer for short film starring Woody Harrelson
- Mignolaverse and 'Hellboy' welcome iZombie co-creator Chris Roberson
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!