It’s clear that writer-director Andrew Niccol did his homework before making Lord of War, the tale of an international arms dealer. Watching the movie, which is like a feature-length trailer crossed with a lecture held together by Nicolas Cage’s ”hard-boiled” narration (”They say every man has his price, but not every man gets it”), we learn that the outlaws who sell arms on the black market deal in Uzis, Glocks, and Kalashnikov assault rifles; that they’ll offer their products to everyone from the rebels of Lebanon to the dictator of Liberia (Eamonn Walker). More than that — and this is the film’s big insight, so hold on to your popcorn — we learn that weapons salesmen are sleazy troubleshooters who don’t care about the harm they cause. Gosh. Cage’s Yuri Orlov, partnering with his party-boy brother (Jared Leto), isn’t much more than a generic crooked businessman boating off in dangerous gray suits to the world’s trouble spots. Lord of War comes on like it’s the GoodFellas of global assault hardware, but Niccol stages ideas for scenes rather than the scenes themselves. He never quite creates a present tense, and the result is a dead pile of information in search of a movie.
(Lord of War: Garth Stead)
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Ethan Hawke, Jared Leto, Bridget Moynahan, Donald Sutherland, Eamonn Walker, Jeffrey Wright; Director: Andrew Niccol; Author: Andrew Niccol; Release Date Wide: 09/16/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!