You can’t fake love, the primary ingredient in The Thing About My Folks, a Paul Reiser-penned attempt at intergenerational rapprochement. Unfortunately, you also can’t hide gooey self-justification, no matter how hard you try. Thing is Woody Allen on a third-grade reading level. Neurosis abounds, but awareness doesn’t, and certain ”jokes” demand additional therapy: Any movie that casually equates ”a freshly bathed baby” with ”my father’s balls” cries out for another round on the couch. My Father’s Balls would have made a more appropriate title, actually: This is a father-and-son (Peter Falk and Reiser) road picture, the kind that builds to a big, inevitable ”I’m sorry.” Seems Mom (Olympia Dukakis) has mysteriously left Dad after more than 40 fairly ordinary years together, and sonny boy is inclined to pin the blame on pops. But the story, much like the marriage, isn’t about Mom: It’s about men not so much tackling responsibility as passing it off laterally, and finally pulling an end run into the schmaltz zone.
The Thing About My FolksYou can't fake love, the primary ingredient in The Thing About My Folks, a Paul Reiser-penned attempt at intergenerational rapprochement....The Thing About My FolksComedyPaul ReiserPT96MPG-13You can't fake love, the primary ingredient in The Thing About My Folks, a Paul Reiser-penned attempt at intergenerational rapprochement....2005-09-14Olympia DukakisElizabeth PerkinsOlympia Dukakis, Elizabeth PerkinsPicturehouse
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Peter Falk, Paul Reiser, Olympia Dukakis, Elizabeth Perkins; Director: Raymond De Felitta; Author: Paul Reiser; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted September 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!