You can’t fake love, the primary ingredient in The Thing About My Folks, a Paul Reiser-penned attempt at intergenerational rapprochement. Unfortunately, you also can’t hide gooey self-justification, no matter how hard you try. Thing is Woody Allen on a third-grade reading level. Neurosis abounds, but awareness doesn’t, and certain ”jokes” demand additional therapy: Any movie that casually equates ”a freshly bathed baby” with ”my father’s balls” cries out for another round on the couch. My Father’s Balls would have made a more appropriate title, actually: This is a father-and-son (Peter Falk and Reiser) road picture, the kind that builds to a big, inevitable ”I’m sorry.” Seems Mom (Olympia Dukakis) has mysteriously left Dad after more than 40 fairly ordinary years together, and sonny boy is inclined to pin the blame on pops. But the story, much like the marriage, isn’t about Mom: It’s about men not so much tackling responsibility as passing it off laterally, and finally pulling an end run into the schmaltz zone.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Peter Falk, Paul Reiser, Olympia Dukakis, Elizabeth Perkins; Director: Raymond De Felitta; Author: Paul Reiser; Release Date Limited: 09/16/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted September 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!