The first words out of Antony Hegarty’s mouth when his name was announced at Sept. 6’s Mercury Prize Awards? ”I think they must have made a mistake.” Indeed, though the prestigious U.K. prize is known for idiosyncratic choices — past winners range from critical darlings Primal Scream and PJ Harvey to M People (yep, we don’t know them either) — he is, to say the least, a left-field choice. For one, though he was born in England, the 34-year-old New York resident has lived in the States since 1983; for another, Antony and the Johnsons’ winning album, I Am a Bird Now, an arresting mix of Hegarty’s Nina Simone-ish vocals and operatic, piano-laden balladry, is truly unique — a hothouse orchid in a field of rock sequoias (Coldplay) and hot young saplings (Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party). Some theorize that those nominees canceled one another out; Bloc Party singer Kele Okereke disagrees. ”There are certain bands,” he admits, ”that if they had won, I think I would have lost my faith in the British media. I’m glad it went to someone who deserves it…. He’s just a really, really great artist.”
Posted September 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Taylor Schilling, Jessica Alba, Beyoncé & More!