The first words out of Antony Hegarty’s mouth when his name was announced at Sept. 6’s Mercury Prize Awards? ”I think they must have made a mistake.” Indeed, though the prestigious U.K. prize is known for idiosyncratic choices — past winners range from critical darlings Primal Scream and PJ Harvey to M People (yep, we don’t know them either) — he is, to say the least, a left-field choice. For one, though he was born in England, the 34-year-old New York resident has lived in the States since 1983; for another, Antony and the Johnsons’ winning album, I Am a Bird Now, an arresting mix of Hegarty’s Nina Simone-ish vocals and operatic, piano-laden balladry, is truly unique — a hothouse orchid in a field of rock sequoias (Coldplay) and hot young saplings (Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party). Some theorize that those nominees canceled one another out; Bloc Party singer Kele Okereke disagrees. ”There are certain bands,” he admits, ”that if they had won, I think I would have lost my faith in the British media. I’m glad it went to someone who deserves it…. He’s just a really, really great artist.”
Posted September 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Look: Bill Hader, Andy Samberg match wits in 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' season premiere
- Paul McCartney debuts new version of 'Tug of War' from forthcoming reissue -- exclusive
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!