Cinnamon Kiss, the 10th entry in Walter Mosley’s superb Easy Rawlins detective series, opens in atypically melodramatic fashion. Easy is desperate for funds to save his adopted daughter from a rare blood disease. When a man unsubtly named Robert E. Lee asks Easy to help track down a white attorney and the lawyer’s woman (the titular Cinnamon), Easy can’t refuse. Despite that overwrought setup, Mosley soon settles into his well-worn groove, vividly describing the changing times (Easy rolls through the hippiefied streets of 1966 San Francisco) while lingering on the effects of the past (Easy’s L.A. is still smarting from the 1965 Watts riots). Even with its ”where did that come from” resolution, Cinnamon convincingly wraps a mystery within the larger context of history and race in Los Angeles. Mosley could probably take an elderly Easy into the Rodney King era with no problem at all.
Cinnamon KissCinnamon Kiss, the 10th entry in Walter Mosley's superb Easy Rawlins detective series, opens in atypically melodramatic fashion. Easy is...Cinnamon KissFiction, Mystery and ThrillerWalter MosleyCinnamon Kiss, the 10th entry in Walter Mosley's superb Easy Rawlins detective series, opens in atypically melodramatic fashion. Easy is...2005-09-16Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Walter Mosley; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!