Cinnamon Kiss, the 10th entry in Walter Mosley’s superb Easy Rawlins detective series, opens in atypically melodramatic fashion. Easy is desperate for funds to save his adopted daughter from a rare blood disease. When a man unsubtly named Robert E. Lee asks Easy to help track down a white attorney and the lawyer’s woman (the titular Cinnamon), Easy can’t refuse. Despite that overwrought setup, Mosley soon settles into his well-worn groove, vividly describing the changing times (Easy rolls through the hippiefied streets of 1966 San Francisco) while lingering on the effects of the past (Easy’s L.A. is still smarting from the 1965 Watts riots). Even with its ”where did that come from” resolution, Cinnamon convincingly wraps a mystery within the larger context of history and race in Los Angeles. Mosley could probably take an elderly Easy into the Rodney King era with no problem at all.
Cinnamon KissCinnamon Kiss, the 10th entry in Walter Mosley's superb Easy Rawlins detective series, opens in atypically melodramatic fashion. Easy is...Cinnamon KissFiction, Mystery and ThrillerWalter MosleyCinnamon Kiss, the 10th entry in Walter Mosley's superb Easy Rawlins detective series, opens in atypically melodramatic fashion. Easy is...2005-09-16Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Walter Mosley; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted September 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Let's rank the 'Mission: Impossible' movies
- Guess which celebrities wrote these children's books
- J.K. Rowling thanks fans for birthday wishes and support
- Here’s how Neville Longbottom wished J.K. Rowling a Happy Birthday
- The time J.J. Abrams broke his back trying to help Harrison Ford
- Are you smarter than a Whoopi Goldberg impersonator?
- 50 things we love about J.K. Rowling for her 50th birthday
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!