Ah, New York Fashion Week: The celebrity-filled shows, the rooftop afterparties, the constant flow of high-end champagne….and the latest offerings from Wal-Mart? It may seem unlikely, but while the fashion flock click-clacked their stilettoed way to Marc Jacobs downtown, EW settled in at Times Square Studios for a runway show (sponsored by ElleGirl and Wal-Mart) featuring former America’s Next Top Model contestants. Toccara, Eva, Naima and Co. gamely tried to make their synthetic-looking ensembles seem chic, but it was a long way from Coutureville. Luckily, things perked up a bit at the show’s finale, where Project Runway alums Austin Scarlett and Kara Saun revisited their first-episode grocery store challenge and created two evening gowns using only inorganic materials from, you guessed it, Wal-Mart. We would have loved to see Anna Wintour’s reaction to that.
Posted September 16 2005 — 8:36 PM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game