Ah, New York Fashion Week: The celebrity-filled shows, the rooftop afterparties, the constant flow of high-end champagne….and the latest offerings from Wal-Mart? It may seem unlikely, but while the fashion flock click-clacked their stilettoed way to Marc Jacobs downtown, EW settled in at Times Square Studios for a runway show (sponsored by ElleGirl and Wal-Mart) featuring former America’s Next Top Model contestants. Toccara, Eva, Naima and Co. gamely tried to make their synthetic-looking ensembles seem chic, but it was a long way from Coutureville. Luckily, things perked up a bit at the show’s finale, where Project Runway alums Austin Scarlett and Kara Saun revisited their first-episode grocery store challenge and created two evening gowns using only inorganic materials from, you guessed it, Wal-Mart. We would have loved to see Anna Wintour’s reaction to that.
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: ‘not perfect,' 'determined’
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'
- John Boyega talks 'Star Wars': 'something symbolic about new generation and old coming together'
- 'Furious 7' wins at box office; No. 5 in all-time global earnings
- 'Goodfellas' reunion: 8 'funny' stories from the cast Q&A