Ah, New York Fashion Week: The celebrity-filled shows, the rooftop afterparties, the constant flow of high-end champagne….and the latest offerings from Wal-Mart? It may seem unlikely, but while the fashion flock click-clacked their stilettoed way to Marc Jacobs downtown, EW settled in at Times Square Studios for a runway show (sponsored by ElleGirl and Wal-Mart) featuring former America’s Next Top Model contestants. Toccara, Eva, Naima and Co. gamely tried to make their synthetic-looking ensembles seem chic, but it was a long way from Coutureville. Luckily, things perked up a bit at the show’s finale, where Project Runway alums Austin Scarlett and Kara Saun revisited their first-episode grocery store challenge and created two evening gowns using only inorganic materials from, you guessed it, Wal-Mart. We would have loved to see Anna Wintour’s reaction to that.
Posted September 16 2005 — 8:36 PM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!