Ah, New York Fashion Week: The celebrity-filled shows, the rooftop afterparties, the constant flow of high-end champagne….and the latest offerings from Wal-Mart? It may seem unlikely, but while the fashion flock click-clacked their stilettoed way to Marc Jacobs downtown, EW settled in at Times Square Studios for a runway show (sponsored by ElleGirl and Wal-Mart) featuring former America’s Next Top Model contestants. Toccara, Eva, Naima and Co. gamely tried to make their synthetic-looking ensembles seem chic, but it was a long way from Coutureville. Luckily, things perked up a bit at the show’s finale, where Project Runway alums Austin Scarlett and Kara Saun revisited their first-episode grocery store challenge and created two evening gowns using only inorganic materials from, you guessed it, Wal-Mart. We would have loved to see Anna Wintour’s reaction to that.
Posted September 16 2005 — 8:36 PM EDT
- 'Edward Scissorhands' 25th anniversary Blu-ray: EW exclusive details
- Demi Lovato: 'Summer' turns into fall
- The Roots play 'Rappers Delight' with the Philadelphia Mayor for Fourth of July
- John Oliver's Shallow Dive: 15 topics in 60(-ish) seconds
- Miley Cyrus cameos as a skateboarding heartthrob on 'Stone Quackers'
- Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle': Watch episodes 1 and 2 at EW Friday
- Miguel: How Prince, sex and late-nights in L.A. inspired his killer new album
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!