In the upscale, uptight town of Upchurch, Conn. (a fictional suburb that could be twinned with Stepford), every house is cookie-cutter perfect, every woman a trim, stay-at-home supermom raising overachieving toddlers. Or that’s how it seems to mother-of-three Kate Klein, a Manhattan transplant whose imperfections make her feel like the town freak. When the most formidable of these ”terrifyingly capable-looking women” is murdered, Kate learns that she and the victim shared a common friend. Naturally, then, it’s up to her to crack the case. Jennifer Weiner has a gift for creating funny, flawed heroines (see Good in Bed and In Her Shoes), but as a suspense writer, she’s still finding her footing. The Desperate Housewives gimmick throws Goodnight Nobody off focus, robbing us of Weiner’s typically razor-sharp originality.
Goodnight NobodyIn the upscale, uptight town of Upchurch, Conn. (a fictional suburb that could be twinned with Stepford), every house is cookie-cutter perfect, every...Goodnight NobodyFictionJennifer WeinerIn the upscale, uptight town of Upchurch, Conn. (a fictional suburb that could be twinned with Stepford), every house is cookie-cutter perfect, every...2005-09-21Atria
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jennifer Weiner; Publisher: Atria
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More