Whether you see Novel — a novel about a middle-aged Carolinian named Novel trying to write a (wait for it) memoir — as a dizzy metatextual Tilt-A-Whirl or a shapeless mass of deep-fried Southern affectation will depend on several factors, including love of the region and blood-alcohol level. George Singleton, primarily a writer of short stories, has turned in an angrily self-deconstructing, archly pseudophilosophical, and grossly distended writing exercise, thinly disguised as the chronicle of an inbred hamlet crawling with (largely inconsequential) secrets. Quoth Novel: ”Glimpses of my childhood reveal themselves at times much the same as that little polka-dotted man carrying a valise shows up when one ingests a gram-too-much psilocybin mushroom the night before his wedding.” Yep, it’s all like that.
NovelWhether you see Novel — a novel about a middle-aged Carolinian named Novel trying to write a (wait for it) memoir — as a...NovelFictionGeorge SingletonWhether you see Novel — a novel about a middle-aged Carolinian named Novel trying to write a (wait for it) memoir — as a...2005-09-21Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: George Singleton; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted September 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hollywood pays tribute to horror master Wes Craven
- Nicki Minaj's Miley Cyrus VMAs moment were not staged
- Justin Bieber releases music video for 'What Do You Mean?'
- Justin Bieber cries after MTV VMAs performance
- Kanye West is having the best time at the MTV VMAs
- MTV just debuted a new trailer for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Demi Lovato performs 'Cool For The Summer' with Iggy Azalea at VMAs
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!