Following the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up at Guantanamo Bay prison — where many faced months of apparently deplorable conditions and lawyer-less hearings about their future (most were shipped back to Haiti). Yale prof Harold Koh and an idealistic band of law students sued the U.S. government on their behalf soon thereafter. In Storming the Court, Brandt Goldstein does a creditable job explaining the nuances of the complicated case. But while the legal status of Gitmo detainees is particularly relevant post-9/11, Goldstein?s undisguised bias can be irksome. He gives exhaustive detail about the thoughts and motivations of the do-gooder liberals, but caricatures their (mostly) conservative opponents with fleeting, highly charged descriptions like ”very, very smart” but ”bent on…gutting civil rights statutes.”
Storming the CourtFollowing the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up...Storming the CourtNonfictionBrandt GoldsteinFollowing the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up...2005-09-21Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Brandt Goldstein; Publisher: Scribner
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!