Following the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up at Guantanamo Bay prison — where many faced months of apparently deplorable conditions and lawyer-less hearings about their future (most were shipped back to Haiti). Yale prof Harold Koh and an idealistic band of law students sued the U.S. government on their behalf soon thereafter. In Storming the Court, Brandt Goldstein does a creditable job explaining the nuances of the complicated case. But while the legal status of Gitmo detainees is particularly relevant post-9/11, Goldstein?s undisguised bias can be irksome. He gives exhaustive detail about the thoughts and motivations of the do-gooder liberals, but caricatures their (mostly) conservative opponents with fleeting, highly charged descriptions like ”very, very smart” but ”bent on…gutting civil rights statutes.”
Storming the CourtFollowing the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up...Storming the CourtNonfictionBrandt GoldsteinFollowing the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up...2005-09-21Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Brandt Goldstein; Publisher: Scribner
Posted September 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!