Following the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up at Guantanamo Bay prison — where many faced months of apparently deplorable conditions and lawyer-less hearings about their future (most were shipped back to Haiti). Yale prof Harold Koh and an idealistic band of law students sued the U.S. government on their behalf soon thereafter. In Storming the Court, Brandt Goldstein does a creditable job explaining the nuances of the complicated case. But while the legal status of Gitmo detainees is particularly relevant post-9/11, Goldstein?s undisguised bias can be irksome. He gives exhaustive detail about the thoughts and motivations of the do-gooder liberals, but caricatures their (mostly) conservative opponents with fleeting, highly charged descriptions like ”very, very smart” but ”bent on…gutting civil rights statutes.”
Storming the CourtFollowing the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up...Storming the CourtNonfictionBrandt GoldsteinFollowing the ouster of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1992, thousands of fleeing Haitians were detained by the U.S. Coast Guard and wound up...2005-09-21Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Brandt Goldstein; Publisher: Scribner
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!