Ewing. J.R. Ewing. It doesn’t have the same ring as 007’s catchphrase, but speculating about who’ll be cast as the sinister oil baron made infamous by Larry Hagman for the upcoming big-screen adaptation of the prime-time soap Dallas is Hollywood’s favorite guessing game after who’s in line to be the next James Bond. John Travolta is reportedly the J.R. front-runner, with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Matthew McConaughey possibly in line for wife Sue Ellen and brother Bobby. Original Lucy Ewing Charlene Tilton is pushing for a casting twist for her Lolita-esque character: ”Hire the Olsen twins. It’s gonna take two people to fill my shoes.” Screenwriter Robert Harling promises no such stunts, but don’t expect a strictly faithful remake. ”We’re starting from scratch,” he says. ”We’ll see the Ewing clan in 2006. Nothing is borrowed — except an unbelievable dynasty on a ranch called Southfork that basically rules the world.” So far his biggest hurdle is not getting trumped by current events. ”When dramatizing the antics of power-mad superrich Texans, you have to scramble to stay ahead of the headlines,” he says. ”I come up with ideas and the next week it’s in The New York Times.”
Posted October 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Will Jessica Jones appear on 'Luke Cage'?
- John Malkovich to headline TV adaptation of 'Humboldt' crime novels
- 'Lights Out' sequel is in early stages at New Line
- 'Ghostbusters' Twitter account endorses Hillary Clinton: '#ImWithHer'
- Brie Larson opens up about 'nerve-racking' Captain Marvel reveal
- Disney's live-action 'Nutcracker' casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- WATCH: Anthony Anderson sings in 'Doc McStuffins' season premiere
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels