Anyone who’s read 2001’s Fraud knows David Rakoff can be a laugh riot. Like his AV-nerd comrades in the NPR smarty-pants mafia (David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell, etc.), he can turn adenoidal self-deprecation into rim-shot prose till the cows come home. And in his new collection, Don’t Get Too Comfortable, the Rakoff formula still works…until it doesn’t. Whether he’s writing about becoming an American citizen (he’s Canadian), tagging along on a soft-core Playboy shoot in Belize, or comparing flights on the Concorde and Hooters Air, Rakoff can be a witty tour guide. But after a while, so much smug sarcasm becomes grating — he finds a way to crap on just about every new experience and suck the fun right out of it.
Don't Get Too Comfortable Anyone who's read 2001's Fraud knows David Rakoff can be a laugh riot. Like his AV-nerd comrades in the NPR smarty-pants mafia (David Sedaris,...Don't Get Too ComfortableNonfiction, EssaysDavid Rakoff Anyone who's read 2001's Fraud knows David Rakoff can be a laugh riot. Like his AV-nerd comrades in the NPR smarty-pants mafia (David Sedaris,...2005-10-21Doubleday
Genre: Nonfiction, Essays; Author: David Rakoff; Publisher: Doubleday
Posted October 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- See Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer dance on Billy Joel's piano
- Pierce Brosnan tells Kimmel why he turned down 'Batman'
- Macklemore got Ken Griffey Jr. to recreate his famous rookie card
- Celebrate Shania Twain's birthday by playing 'Shania lyric or motivational poster?'
- Justin Bieber drops 'What Do You Mean?' after online leak
- Snoop Dogg watches tree frogs have an orgy on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!