There’s a lot of talk of trials and tribulations in Rize, fashion photographer LaChapelle’s doc detailing a form of dance born in South Central L.A., but he and the performers are more interested in testifying to the uplift of a singularly mind-blowing art form (called ”krumping” by some, ”clown dancing” or ”stripper dancing” by others). What the dancers celebrate in applying exaggerated makeup and losing themselves in furious improvisation (and what LaChapelle celebrates in documenting them) is the freedom of a different kind of voice. EXTRAS In an interview with the dancers, LaChapelle admits that he ”found riches” in ”recognizing other artists.” Deleted scenes include an extended ”Amazing Grace” sung by Alice Ridley and unused dances that are like dessert after a visual feast. Plus, krump tutorials with several key dancers and a Tribeca film fest Q&A in which krumpers explain why Rize is a ”testimony of victory.”
Rize There's a lot of talk of trials and tribulations in Rize, fashion photographer LaChapelle's doc detailing a form of dance born in...RizeDocumentaryPT85MPG-13 There's a lot of talk of trials and tribulations in Rize, fashion photographer LaChapelle's doc detailing a form of dance born in...2005-10-25Lions Gate Films
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Tommy the Clown; Director: David LaChapelle; Release Date Limited: 06/24/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!