There’s a lot of talk of trials and tribulations in Rize, fashion photographer LaChapelle’s doc detailing a form of dance born in South Central L.A., but he and the performers are more interested in testifying to the uplift of a singularly mind-blowing art form (called ”krumping” by some, ”clown dancing” or ”stripper dancing” by others). What the dancers celebrate in applying exaggerated makeup and losing themselves in furious improvisation (and what LaChapelle celebrates in documenting them) is the freedom of a different kind of voice. EXTRAS In an interview with the dancers, LaChapelle admits that he ”found riches” in ”recognizing other artists.” Deleted scenes include an extended ”Amazing Grace” sung by Alice Ridley and unused dances that are like dessert after a visual feast. Plus, krump tutorials with several key dancers and a Tribeca film fest Q&A in which krumpers explain why Rize is a ”testimony of victory.”
Rize There's a lot of talk of trials and tribulations in Rize, fashion photographer LaChapelle's doc detailing a form of dance born in...RizeDocumentaryPT85MPG-13 There's a lot of talk of trials and tribulations in Rize, fashion photographer LaChapelle's doc detailing a form of dance born in...2005-10-25Lions Gate Films
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Tommy the Clown; Director: David LaChapelle; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted October 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!