The Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an African-American cast, is another strikeout, further destroying F. Scott Fitzgerald’s film batting average. Shot in 2001 and produced by Ralph Lauren’s son Andrew, it features good work from Richard T. Jones (The Wood), burning quietly as Summer G, a hip-hop mogul fond of mood swings and loud parties at his Hamptons mansion. Summer’s in love with Sky (Chenoa Maxwell), a fellow Hamptonite, but Sky — the movie’s Daisy — is a runaway conceptual mess. She’s still rich and gorgeous, and still married to a lout (Blair Underwood). But now she’s proud and serious and fierce, a positive spin that renders her decision to break Gatsby’s heart completely nonsensical. The new dumb, soapy, twist ending is set at an ”all-white” party at the manse, fueling the marginally entertaining notion that Summer is a very thinly disguised Diddy.
GThe Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an...GDramaChristopher Scott CherotPT96MRThe Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an...2005-11-02Andrew Lauren Productions
Genre: Drama; Starring: Richard T. Jones, Blair Underwood; Director: Christopher Scott Cherot; Author: Christopher Scott Cherot; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Andrew Lauren Productions
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!