The Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an African-American cast, is another strikeout, further destroying F. Scott Fitzgerald’s film batting average. Shot in 2001 and produced by Ralph Lauren’s son Andrew, it features good work from Richard T. Jones (The Wood), burning quietly as Summer G, a hip-hop mogul fond of mood swings and loud parties at his Hamptons mansion. Summer’s in love with Sky (Chenoa Maxwell), a fellow Hamptonite, but Sky — the movie’s Daisy — is a runaway conceptual mess. She’s still rich and gorgeous, and still married to a lout (Blair Underwood). But now she’s proud and serious and fierce, a positive spin that renders her decision to break Gatsby’s heart completely nonsensical. The new dumb, soapy, twist ending is set at an ”all-white” party at the manse, fueling the marginally entertaining notion that Summer is a very thinly disguised Diddy.
GThe Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an...GDramaChristopher Scott CherotPT96MRThe Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an...2005-11-02Andrew Lauren Productions
Genre: Drama; Starring: Richard T. Jones, Blair Underwood; Director: Christopher Scott Cherot; Author: Christopher Scott Cherot; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Andrew Lauren Productions
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!