The Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an African-American cast, is another strikeout, further destroying F. Scott Fitzgerald’s film batting average. Shot in 2001 and produced by Ralph Lauren’s son Andrew, it features good work from Richard T. Jones (The Wood), burning quietly as Summer G, a hip-hop mogul fond of mood swings and loud parties at his Hamptons mansion. Summer’s in love with Sky (Chenoa Maxwell), a fellow Hamptonite, but Sky — the movie’s Daisy — is a runaway conceptual mess. She’s still rich and gorgeous, and still married to a lout (Blair Underwood). But now she’s proud and serious and fierce, a positive spin that renders her decision to break Gatsby’s heart completely nonsensical. The new dumb, soapy, twist ending is set at an ”all-white” party at the manse, fueling the marginally entertaining notion that Summer is a very thinly disguised Diddy.
GThe Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an...GDramaChristopher Scott CherotPT96MRThe Great Gatsby was famously bungled in the pulseless 1974 movie with Robert Redford. G, which updates the story with an...2005-11-02Andrew Lauren Productions
Genre: Drama; Starring: Richard T. Jones, Blair Underwood; Director: Christopher Scott Cherot; Author: Christopher Scott Cherot; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Andrew Lauren Productions
Posted November 2 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!