Has any other holiday inspired as many bad movies as Christmas? And has any actor made a career out of starring in them as much as Tim Allen? (Coming up next: The Santa Clause 3!) Christmas With the Kranks is just the latest example of a type of film that seems to exist solely because large swaths of America never get any snow. Empty nesters Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, who decide to skip Christmas and go on a Caribbean cruise instead, prompt their neighbors — led by a verging-on-fascistic Dan Aykroyd — to both harass and shun the holiday-hating couple. This ode to conformity is riddled with tired gags: Three scenes revolve around people falling flat, much like the movie itself. It’s insulting for a DVD of a movie this mediocre not to offer any EXTRAS. (Trailers don’t count.) Couldn’t director Joe Roth (America’s Sweethearts) have included a commentary about how he managed to cast both Felicity Huffman and Cheech Marin in the same film?
Starring: Tim Allen, Jamie Lee Curtis; Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Jake Busey, Cheech Marin, Caroline Rhea, Erik Per Sullivan; Director: Chris Columbus; Author: Chris Columbus; Release Date Wide: 11/24/2004; Distributor: Sony Pictures Releasing
Posted November 8 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!