To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on colleague Judith Miller. To observe Dowd at her coquettish, stiletto-wearing worst, crack her new book, Are Men Necessary?, a hodgepodge of recycled columns, Dorothy Parker quips, and peekaboo glimpses into the glam journalist’s personal life. Her subject is the sexual revolution’s screwy legacy, from Anita Hill to Botox, and she serves up some dishy tidbits — like her run-in with Monica Lewinsky (”a volatile blend of brassy and deeply vulnerable”) in a Washington restaurant. What’s missing is a strong point of view to pull it all together. Dowd describes herself as a ”fun-loving…Carrie Bradshaw type,” and the analogy extends to these fluffy musings.
Are Men Necessary? To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on...Are Men Necessary?NonfictionMaureen Dowd To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on...2005-11-09Putnam
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Maureen Dowd; Publisher: Putnam
Posted November 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!