To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on colleague Judith Miller. To observe Dowd at her coquettish, stiletto-wearing worst, crack her new book, Are Men Necessary?, a hodgepodge of recycled columns, Dorothy Parker quips, and peekaboo glimpses into the glam journalist’s personal life. Her subject is the sexual revolution’s screwy legacy, from Anita Hill to Botox, and she serves up some dishy tidbits — like her run-in with Monica Lewinsky (”a volatile blend of brassy and deeply vulnerable”) in a Washington restaurant. What’s missing is a strong point of view to pull it all together. Dowd describes herself as a ”fun-loving…Carrie Bradshaw type,” and the analogy extends to these fluffy musings.
Are Men Necessary? To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on...Are Men Necessary?NonfictionMaureen Dowd To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on...2005-11-09Putnam
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Maureen Dowd; Publisher: Putnam
Posted November 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!