To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on colleague Judith Miller. To observe Dowd at her coquettish, stiletto-wearing worst, crack her new book, Are Men Necessary?, a hodgepodge of recycled columns, Dorothy Parker quips, and peekaboo glimpses into the glam journalist’s personal life. Her subject is the sexual revolution’s screwy legacy, from Anita Hill to Botox, and she serves up some dishy tidbits — like her run-in with Monica Lewinsky (”a volatile blend of brassy and deeply vulnerable”) in a Washington restaurant. What’s missing is a strong point of view to pull it all together. Dowd describes herself as a ”fun-loving…Carrie Bradshaw type,” and the analogy extends to these fluffy musings.
Are Men Necessary? To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on...Are Men Necessary?NonfictionMaureen Dowd To savor New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd at her incisive, stiletto-wielding best, check out her already legendary Oct. 22 hit piece on...2005-11-09Putnam
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Maureen Dowd; Publisher: Putnam
Posted November 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Miley Cyrus opens the 2015 VMAs with Instagram lessons
- Amber Rose and Blac Chyna challenged all the haters with their VMAs outfits
- Nicki Minaj brings out Taylor Swift to open the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Taylor Swift debuts 'Wildest Dreams' music video before the VMAs
- Nick Jonas crushes the VMA red carpet with 'Levels' performance
- T-Pain took over EW's Instagram for the VMAs
- 5 Seconds of Summer wins 2015 Song of the Summer VMA for 'She's Kinda Hot'
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!