Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There’s Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house in the south of France to a bogus New Age guru; Patrick’s wife, Mary, worn paper-thin by motherhood; and their two sons, small but astute observers of it all. Over three Augusts in France, the boys watch as the family slowly but inexorably falls apart. Eleanor’s health declines, Mary grows ever more consumed by her children, and Patrick, increasingly angry with both Mom and marriage, cheats on his wife. Mother’s Milk is a small portrait, not a sweeping one, but told with slicing British wit.
Mother's Milk Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There's Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house ...Mother's MilkFictionEdward St. Aubyn Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There's Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house ...2005-11-09Open City
Genre: Fiction; Author: Edward St. Aubyn; Publisher: Open City
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!