Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There’s Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house in the south of France to a bogus New Age guru; Patrick’s wife, Mary, worn paper-thin by motherhood; and their two sons, small but astute observers of it all. Over three Augusts in France, the boys watch as the family slowly but inexorably falls apart. Eleanor’s health declines, Mary grows ever more consumed by her children, and Patrick, increasingly angry with both Mom and marriage, cheats on his wife. Mother’s Milk is a small portrait, not a sweeping one, but told with slicing British wit.
Mother's Milk Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There's Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house ...Mother's MilkFictionEdward St. Aubyn Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There's Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house ...2005-11-09Open City
Genre: Fiction; Author: Edward St. Aubyn; Publisher: Open City
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!