Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There’s Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house in the south of France to a bogus New Age guru; Patrick’s wife, Mary, worn paper-thin by motherhood; and their two sons, small but astute observers of it all. Over three Augusts in France, the boys watch as the family slowly but inexorably falls apart. Eleanor’s health declines, Mary grows ever more consumed by her children, and Patrick, increasingly angry with both Mom and marriage, cheats on his wife. Mother’s Milk is a small portrait, not a sweeping one, but told with slicing British wit.
Mother's Milk Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There's Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house ...Mother's MilkFictionEdward St. Aubyn Edward St. Aubyn lays open the conflicts roiling the Melrose family: There's Patrick, livid that his mother, Eleanor, has decided to leave her house ...2005-11-09Open City
Genre: Fiction; Author: Edward St. Aubyn; Publisher: Open City
Posted November 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!