Anybody who’s tuned in to VH1’s But Can They Sing? (Sundays, 10 p.m.) — the amateur hour in which (mostly) C-list celebs like Antonio Sabato Jr. and Morgan Fairchild slaughter pop hits — has walked away asking far weightier questions…like, who is Bai Ling, and why is she prancing around like a munchkin on acid? The 35-year-old Chinese native and worst-dressed-list staple made her U.S. film debut in 1994’s The Crow, played Richard Gere’s lawyer (!) in the 1997 thriller Red Corner, and bedded Vince on Entourage last season. Now her gonzo performances of Madonna’s ”Like a Virgin” and Blondie’s ”Call Me” have become exquisite forms of aural torture. Not that she doesn’t have an explanation: ”I was singing off-tune because when I was lying on stage, I couldn’t hear the band. I was basically deaf the whole performance. And I watched the next day and thought, ‘I’m out of my f – -ing mind!”’ She sure is, but she’s also more than happy to keep delivering the not-so-goods to her cult of fans despite two wobbly weeks. (Ling claims her voice is too low for the songs she’s been assigned so far.) ”I’m a shiny, colorful addition. I want to make people laugh and enjoy themselves. I want to wear clothes that make me feel sexy, modern, youthful, and comfortable. I have eight little spirits in me. And they’re wearing little miniskirts all the time.” Of course they are.
Posted November 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ryan Reynolds pranked Blake Lively while she was in labor
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Josh Groban is a womanizing guitarist on 'Life in Pieces'
- James Corden sent his parents to cover the Super Bowl
- 'Black Mass' captures the madness and minutia of being Whitey Bulger
- See 'The Brothers Grimsby' red-band trailer featuring Bill Cosby joke
- Marvel reveals exclusive Chicago Comic Con show poster
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See Jenny Slate's stressed-out sheep in 'Zootopia' clip
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere