Anybody who’s tuned in to VH1’s But Can They Sing? (Sundays, 10 p.m.) — the amateur hour in which (mostly) C-list celebs like Antonio Sabato Jr. and Morgan Fairchild slaughter pop hits — has walked away asking far weightier questions…like, who is Bai Ling, and why is she prancing around like a munchkin on acid? The 35-year-old Chinese native and worst-dressed-list staple made her U.S. film debut in 1994’s The Crow, played Richard Gere’s lawyer (!) in the 1997 thriller Red Corner, and bedded Vince on Entourage last season. Now her gonzo performances of Madonna’s ”Like a Virgin” and Blondie’s ”Call Me” have become exquisite forms of aural torture. Not that she doesn’t have an explanation: ”I was singing off-tune because when I was lying on stage, I couldn’t hear the band. I was basically deaf the whole performance. And I watched the next day and thought, ‘I’m out of my f – -ing mind!”’ She sure is, but she’s also more than happy to keep delivering the not-so-goods to her cult of fans despite two wobbly weeks. (Ling claims her voice is too low for the songs she’s been assigned so far.) ”I’m a shiny, colorful addition. I want to make people laugh and enjoy themselves. I want to wear clothes that make me feel sexy, modern, youthful, and comfortable. I have eight little spirits in me. And they’re wearing little miniskirts all the time.” Of course they are.
Posted November 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Eminem reveals why the original 'Stan' is lost forever
- Maya Rudolph, Martin Short reveal their fave SNL sketch by other person
- John Oliver wants to know why bread pants are 'not a thing'
- See Paul Rudd and Selena Gomez in 'The Fundamentals of Caring' trailer
- What to Watch Monday: 'Roots' takes over Memorial Day
- George and Amal Clooney honored for charity work by Pope Francis
- 'Schitt's Creek' cast describtes their show in 30 seconds
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers