Anybody who’s tuned in to VH1’s But Can They Sing? (Sundays, 10 p.m.) — the amateur hour in which (mostly) C-list celebs like Antonio Sabato Jr. and Morgan Fairchild slaughter pop hits — has walked away asking far weightier questions…like, who is Bai Ling, and why is she prancing around like a munchkin on acid? The 35-year-old Chinese native and worst-dressed-list staple made her U.S. film debut in 1994’s The Crow, played Richard Gere’s lawyer (!) in the 1997 thriller Red Corner, and bedded Vince on Entourage last season. Now her gonzo performances of Madonna’s ”Like a Virgin” and Blondie’s ”Call Me” have become exquisite forms of aural torture. Not that she doesn’t have an explanation: ”I was singing off-tune because when I was lying on stage, I couldn’t hear the band. I was basically deaf the whole performance. And I watched the next day and thought, ‘I’m out of my f – -ing mind!”’ She sure is, but she’s also more than happy to keep delivering the not-so-goods to her cult of fans despite two wobbly weeks. (Ling claims her voice is too low for the songs she’s been assigned so far.) ”I’m a shiny, colorful addition. I want to make people laugh and enjoy themselves. I want to wear clothes that make me feel sexy, modern, youthful, and comfortable. I have eight little spirits in me. And they’re wearing little miniskirts all the time.” Of course they are.
Posted November 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Pokémon Go' gets the Honest Trailer treatment
- Radiohead played 'Let Down' for first time in a decade
- James Corden's parents cover WWE Monday Night Raw
- Shonda Rhimes on 'Scandal': 'I never said this was the final season'
- Morrissey reveals world tour dates
- Billy Ray Cyrus comedy 'Still the King' renewed by CMT
- Cartoon Hillary Clinton pokes fun of DNC drama with Stephen Colbert
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years