Anybody who’s tuned in to VH1’s But Can They Sing? (Sundays, 10 p.m.) — the amateur hour in which (mostly) C-list celebs like Antonio Sabato Jr. and Morgan Fairchild slaughter pop hits — has walked away asking far weightier questions…like, who is Bai Ling, and why is she prancing around like a munchkin on acid? The 35-year-old Chinese native and worst-dressed-list staple made her U.S. film debut in 1994’s The Crow, played Richard Gere’s lawyer (!) in the 1997 thriller Red Corner, and bedded Vince on Entourage last season. Now her gonzo performances of Madonna’s ”Like a Virgin” and Blondie’s ”Call Me” have become exquisite forms of aural torture. Not that she doesn’t have an explanation: ”I was singing off-tune because when I was lying on stage, I couldn’t hear the band. I was basically deaf the whole performance. And I watched the next day and thought, ‘I’m out of my f – -ing mind!”’ She sure is, but she’s also more than happy to keep delivering the not-so-goods to her cult of fans despite two wobbly weeks. (Ling claims her voice is too low for the songs she’s been assigned so far.) ”I’m a shiny, colorful addition. I want to make people laugh and enjoy themselves. I want to wear clothes that make me feel sexy, modern, youthful, and comfortable. I have eight little spirits in me. And they’re wearing little miniskirts all the time.” Of course they are.
Posted November 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!