Enticed by the prospect of filming in Shanghai, Ralph Fiennes was disappointed to learn that Countess — which ended up being late producer Ismail Merchant’s last film — was going to be shot mostly on a soundstage. Luckily, the actor squeezed in an ”extraordinary” visit to the Great Wall in between takes playing Todd Jackson, a disillusioned American diplomat who becomes obsessed with building the ”perfect” nightclub. The lonely expat eventually hires Natasha Richardson’s damaged Countess Sofia as his hostess, who moonlights as a prostitute to support her ungrateful in-laws. Oh, and did we mention Jackson is blind? ”In the earlier draft [when the character could see], I remember saying to Jim [Ivory] something extra needs to happen to this character,” says Fiennes. ”I can’t be logical about it, but losing his sight made his peculiar fascination with the nighttime all the more potent.”
Posted November 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- Deadmau5 says 'We Are Your Friends' flop restored his faith in music
- 'Game of Thrones' may have added a 'Lucy' actor to season 6
- Jimmy Fallon shows Elle Fanning his high school yearbook photo
- The TGIT casts united for one epic Shondaland photo
- 'The Walking Dead' star Danai Gurira on why season 6 is 'powerful and beautiful at the same time'
- There will be two Oscars hosts next year
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!