Oversentimental odes to Italy are as ubiquitous as store-bought sauce (and about as bland, too). But Falling Palace, a so-called ”Romance of Naples,” is chilometri away from those sun-kissed, espresso-soaked travelogues. Dan Hofstadter, a tourist-turned-short-term resident, writes of a ”beautiful and wounded city.” Just as he recalls ”the fragrance of perpetual gaiety,” he cannot forget ”half-derelict palazzi” and tiny, ”tomblike” bassi (apartments). Of course, there is a girl — isn’t there always? — Benedetta, who dismisses his opinions and corrects his grammar. (After hearing her lover cohost a local radio show, she tells him, ”You overworked your subjunctives.”) Hofstadter paints a warts-and-all portrait of both Benedetta and Naples, and the two are all the more alluring for their imperfections. He does linger too long in the city’s sprawling underground, but one can’t fault him for digging deep.
Falling Palace Oversentimental odes to Italy are as ubiquitous as store-bought sauce (and about as bland, too). But Falling Palace, a so-called '...Falling PalaceNonfictionDan Hofstadter Oversentimental odes to Italy are as ubiquitous as store-bought sauce (and about as bland, too). But Falling Palace, a so-called '...2005-11-16Knopf
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Dan Hofstadter; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jack White's Dead Weather returns with new album
- Henry Cavill: ‘Batman v Superman' an 'expansion' of 'Man of Steel' world
- Inside Amazon's edgy romantic comedy 'Catastrophe'
- Chris Tucker's Netflix stand-up special: Watch new trailer
- 'Legend of Korra' creator previews new 'Threadworlds'
- Patton Oswalt, Paul Reubens and more star in Telltale Games' 'Minecraft: Story Mode'
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher married
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!