Oversentimental odes to Italy are as ubiquitous as store-bought sauce (and about as bland, too). But Falling Palace, a so-called ”Romance of Naples,” is chilometri away from those sun-kissed, espresso-soaked travelogues. Dan Hofstadter, a tourist-turned-short-term resident, writes of a ”beautiful and wounded city.” Just as he recalls ”the fragrance of perpetual gaiety,” he cannot forget ”half-derelict palazzi” and tiny, ”tomblike” bassi (apartments). Of course, there is a girl — isn’t there always? — Benedetta, who dismisses his opinions and corrects his grammar. (After hearing her lover cohost a local radio show, she tells him, ”You overworked your subjunctives.”) Hofstadter paints a warts-and-all portrait of both Benedetta and Naples, and the two are all the more alluring for their imperfections. He does linger too long in the city’s sprawling underground, but one can’t fault him for digging deep.
Falling Palace Oversentimental odes to Italy are as ubiquitous as store-bought sauce (and about as bland, too). But Falling Palace, a so-called '...Falling PalaceNonfictionDan Hofstadter Oversentimental odes to Italy are as ubiquitous as store-bought sauce (and about as bland, too). But Falling Palace, a so-called '...2005-11-16Knopf
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Dan Hofstadter; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Kristen Schaal plays Natalie Imbruglia in Mikal Cronin's 'Turn Around' video
- Disney 'will one day' make another 'Indiana Jones' movie
- The 'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' scene you weren't supposed to see
- Get to know Nashville's most promising outlaw
- Weird Al talks about his worst costume and that time he fell through a stage
- Met Gala: 10 reasons it's more fun for fashion watchers than the Oscars
- Giorgio Moroder releases video for Sia-featuring 'Deja Vu'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!