From 1945 to 1950, before he turned to movies, Stanley Kubrick worked as a staff photographer for Look magazine. Stanley Kubrick: Drama & Shadows (Phaidon, $69.95) collects about 400 shots that had been hidden for decades in an NYC museum’s archives. The aspiring director even staged photos like this one (starring his future wife Toba Metz). As Phaidon editorial director Amanda Renshaw explains, ”He was beginning to look at how you might film things, at how different camera angles would affect a moving image.”
Posted November 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!