Deep winter, 1900. Charlotte Heath, married to the stuffy scion of a family of lawyers and financiers in suburban Boston, is struggling to recover from a ”brain disease.” Leaving the house on a snowy winter day for the first time in 10 months to race her beloved chestnut horses around the town square, she sees her husband embracing another woman. So she flees the family’s luxurious compound for Boston and the Beechmont, an elegant hotel where the Heaths’ former cook is employed. But the Beechmont, as she soon finds out, is no ordinary inn. What A private hotel for gentle ladiesprovides, along with meals and maids, is service of a very different kind from its good-looking young male employees. The only disappointment in Ellen Cooney’s oddly charming story is its denouement: It comes as no surprise that Charlotte’s sexual awakening gives her the courage to take control of her destiny.
A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies Deep winter, 1900. Charlotte Heath, married to the stuffy scion of a family of lawyers and financiers in suburban Boston, is struggling to recover...A Private Hotel for Gentle LadiesFictionEllen Cooney Deep winter, 1900. Charlotte Heath, married to the stuffy scion of a family of lawyers and financiers in suburban Boston, is struggling to recover...2005-11-23Pantheon
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ellen Cooney; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!