Deep winter, 1900. Charlotte Heath, married to the stuffy scion of a family of lawyers and financiers in suburban Boston, is struggling to recover from a ”brain disease.” Leaving the house on a snowy winter day for the first time in 10 months to race her beloved chestnut horses around the town square, she sees her husband embracing another woman. So she flees the family’s luxurious compound for Boston and the Beechmont, an elegant hotel where the Heaths’ former cook is employed. But the Beechmont, as she soon finds out, is no ordinary inn. What A private hotel for gentle ladiesprovides, along with meals and maids, is service of a very different kind from its good-looking young male employees. The only disappointment in Ellen Cooney’s oddly charming story is its denouement: It comes as no surprise that Charlotte’s sexual awakening gives her the courage to take control of her destiny.
A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies Deep winter, 1900. Charlotte Heath, married to the stuffy scion of a family of lawyers and financiers in suburban Boston, is struggling to recover...A Private Hotel for Gentle LadiesFictionEllen Cooney Deep winter, 1900. Charlotte Heath, married to the stuffy scion of a family of lawyers and financiers in suburban Boston, is struggling to recover...2005-11-23Pantheon
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ellen Cooney; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted November 23 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante releases free new music
- Stevie Wonder and Andra Day cover a Christmas classic in new Apple commercial
- Michael B. Jordan on boxing in 'Creed': 'Every punch is a line'
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 6, 'Three Monkeys'
- Fox News contributor gets death threats for mocking 'Star Wars' fans
- Glenn Danzig shares stories behind songs on new covers album
- See 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' come to life in 'Disney Infinity 3.0'
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year