A new mystery from Baroness P. D. James is always a cool, elegant, meticulously plotted treat, though her latest moves a bit more slowly than her sparkling early work. A famous novelist is found hanging outside a Lighthouse on the tiny Cornish island of Combe, a private retreat for distinguished public servants. Commander Adam Dalgliesh helicopters in to investigate and discovers no shortage of islanders with motivation to off the irascible writer. James’ decision to stage the murder in a closed community — a classic Agatha Christie technique — feels a mite old-fashioned. But it enables the kind of civilized ”Professor Plum did it with the lead pipe in the conservatory” guesswork that never really goes out of style.
The Lighthouse A new mystery from Baroness P. D. James is always a cool, elegant, meticulously plotted treat, though her latest moves a bit more slowly than her...The LighthouseFiction, Mystery and ThrillerP.D. James A new mystery from Baroness P. D. James is always a cool, elegant, meticulously plotted treat, though her latest moves a bit more slowly than her...2005-11-25Knopf
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: P.D. James; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!