New Yorkers anticipated the arrival of the Country Music Association Awards wagon train with apprehension — first the Republican National Convention, now this? But the CMA red carpet at Madison Square Garden Nov. 15 ushered in a group of exceedingly polite and pretty durn attractive folks, all thrilled to be in the Big Apple. ”I’m scared to ask my wife about the credit card bills, ‘cause she’s been uptown at Saks the last couple days,” moaned past CMA winner Tracy Lawrence. ”Pray for me.” Spanning the spectrum from rhinestone cowboy to runway diva — LeAnn Rimes in Marc Jacobs! Horizon Award winner Dierks Bentley in skull jewelry! — the country stars proved just as diverse as the city itself, and now we kinda feel bad for stereotyping everyone. (Psst: Nice eight-inch belt buckle, Cowboy Troy. Way to keep it real.) Opry vet Lorrie Morgan — whose white Eavis & Brown lace gown and beaded collar pierced a Loretta Lynn-esque beacon through the herd of satin couture — summed it up. ”People perceived us for so many years as hay bales,” she said. ”We’re everything from Armani to Levi’s. It’s gaud. It’s fun. We try and take it to the max.”
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- David Cross returns to the stage in new stand-up special trailer
- Chance the Rapper plots Chicago music fest featuring Skrillex
- Anne Rice announces 'Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis'
- 'American Crime Story' coming to Netflix in 2017
- Documentary about INXS singer Michael Hutchence is in the works
- 'Prison Break' clip shows the importance of a stick of gum
- Michael C. Hall to reprise Bowie's 'Lazarus' in London
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'